Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illinois won't accept my education toward my SE application 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Mike

Structural
Apr 27, 2019
TH
I have a bachelor's in Physics from University of Wisconsin, a master's in civil (structural) from Marquette University, and 5 years work experience. Illinois said they would consider a bachelor's in civil from Marquette to be worth (4) years of experience, but they said a master's in civil (structural) from Marquette is worth nothing. Does anyone have any idea how to appeal the committee's decision? Illinois told me their is no way to appeal, but I would like to spend some time and resources fighting. Any tips anyone has for me would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem with the system is that while the board meets and makes policy once a long while, the execution is carried out by the government workers, whom may only have HS diploma, that in no way know how to evaluate your qualification item by items, so the check box is the only solution.

That map is interesting in that I've heard that Georgia just did some sort of practice act that will require a SE designation for certain structures.

That's the second time they've messed around with the structural requirements over about the last 5 years.

I've got a e-mail to them to ask what it will take to have this designation added to my license.

This is becoming rocket science fellas. [smile]

I don't know if this is the fact, that the reluctance to honor the master degree is because the programs (differ by school) are not uniformly structured (nationwide) as opposed to the undergraduate programs. Also, the thesis option hurts. I remember I was advised by my professor not to take that route, if a career in academic wasn't my final goal/interest.

Don't wait to do that...they're grandfathering PE's into SE's right now, but only until 1/1/21.

I've heard that. I'll keep bugging them. I'm not that worried though as it appears they are recognizing the old SE I&II exams. (I've also been registered in Ga for about 12 years now.)

But I'll keep after them.

diverging from the OP thread.... it's hard to be a Civil Engineer anymore. Structural Engineering acts like it isn't Civil Engineering anymore. Landscape Architecture claims the site plans as their specialty. MEP engineers have taken over most of the the major utility work as everything has moved deeper and deeper into controls. :)

My issue is I do not hold an ABET accredited degree. I do not think that should be the only route to showing you are a qualified structural or civil engineer, but most State boards do not agree with me.

I agree with phamENG--the issue is the Marquette Master's degree is not ABET accredited. I recommend reading the entire statute, all the rules, to see if there is a category you can squeeze into.

DaveAtkins

DaveAtkins,

I don't quite understand your problem. If you were allowed to take SE exam, didn't it permitted you to take IL PE as well? Are you holding IL PE too?

A State (e.g., Iowa) will not grant a PE license simply because you pass an NCEES test. If that were the case, I would have taken any exam they required of me. A PE license is granted based on EDUCATION, experience, and examination. My non-ABET degrees do not qualify me for PE licensure in most states. I obtained my PE license in Wisconsin before Wisconsin changed the rules.

There was a time when you could get a license to practice architecture, for example, with a high school diploma and tons of experience. No college education, no examination. Those days are long past...

DaveAtkins

Here in Virginia, there are a few (painful) routes for non-ABET graduates. If you have a 4 year degree from an engineering or engineering technologies curriculum and you managed to take the FE, you need 10 years of experience. If you didn't pass the FE, it's 20 years of experience.

I'm pretty sure we still have a regulation in Richmond that allows attorneys to "read law" and then take the bar without ever setting foot in a law school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back