Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

i'm considering joining the army or navy engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you can get a commission as an Officer, either one of them looks great on a resume and they both are outstanding experience. Army Corps of Engineers or Navy SeaBees use a lot of Civil/Structural types. Both services use a wide range of other Engineers as well.

If you can't get a commission, then the experience is not quite as well thought of by industry as preparation for an Engineering career.

David

zdas,

is it hard to get a commission as an officer?

also what are the disadvantages of working for military as engineer for good/long term?

thanks,

Army engineers (for enlisted) are glorified construction workers and officers are merely supervisors.

Don't take my word on this, but Air force and Navy officers actually function somewhat like engineers, but soon move to more of a managerial position working with civilians.

Air force engineering is what I would have done after I got my degree (10 years army), but an Iraq injury gave me some disability which precluded me from attending OCS.

Depends on what kind of engineering. Every submarine officer now must be a nuc, and thus become a hardcore power plant engineer, regardless of his other duties.

I was in the Army Corps of Engineers as an ROTC officer.

The thing I did not like about the experience is that I was assigned a construction MOS of 1331 from DA, with a construction specialty and special training from the Army, but was slotted to a combat engineer battalion position (1328 MOS) where I did absolutely no engineering for four years. The "engineering" was laying minefields, constructing obstacles, bridge building, and demolitions. Doing by a cookbook, not original design.

Bottom line, if you do join, go in knowing that you may not be doing any design engineering. Very few do. However, as an officer, you will have time to learn and practice management skills.

To be an Army officer you have three options - West Point, ROTC, or OCS. OCS would probably be the quickest for you, but you have to be enlisted first, apply and be accepted.

Good luck.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

dallasj,

that sounds good to me, i've always wanted to be in site supervising construction.

you said you had an injury, how dangerous is it for engineers if he is assigned to iraq?

thanks,

mssquared,

ok thanks, i'll look into OCS.
do you think i will qualify even if my experience are all in Oil and Gas?
Do they have "technical" exam?
I do have a PE license, will it help?

Thanks,

In the army, there are multiple varieties of "engineers". "Combat engineers" will, as has been said, lay minefields, build or destroy obstacles, construct revetments and bunkers in support of combat operations, etc. Most of that will be "cookbook" stuff right out of military field manuals.

There are also engineers involved in various R & D programs, and there are engineers involved in several other scopes of work.

There are commissioning programs available for degreed applicants, though, and a conversation with a recruiter will get you more details than I have.

Just make sure you know EXACTLY what you're getting into before you sign anything. Some recruiters are masters of "bait and switch".

old field guy

Go talk to some recruiters and find out what they have to say. But do beware of Bait & Switch or go watch the movie "Private Benjamin" - quite funny and also probably true...

westheimer - most military engineers don't spend a lot of time doing much 'technical' stuff.

They are mostly involved in more management activities, though where some technical knowledge is required. Corps of Engineers looking after levies and the like might be a bit different but generally speaking I'd say what I said holds true across the services.

Even those involved in R & D programs don't generally get very deep into the technical details - they are more about project management.

Most of the more technical stuff is done by govt civilians or even contractors.

Within reason, once you've taken the queens schilling (or I suppose Presidents Nickel) they can do with you pretty much what they want. Ever heard of 'stop loss' and the like?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I should have said, when you do get to do technical stuff it's quite likely because the proverbial hit the fan.

Like my old boss, who was in the back seat of a Harrier as the Squadron Engineering Officer on a test flight when the main Landing wheels fell off. It was up to him to make the call on if the pilot should try landing on the out riggers & nose gear, or do a wheels up landing with the resultant damage.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I agree totally with oldfieldguy.

...And the notion of the FACT that you are theirs and they will put you where THEY need you. I say that though with tongue in cheek as I was granted a compassionate reassignment to the Northwest to be with my father as he was passing away from cancer. Sometimes, the Army does listen to your needs. Sometimes...

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

kenat, etc...

thanks, honestly i am jobless and looking where else i can work that's why i thought about going to military..
i'll probably pass for now.. i'll reconsider it later..

If you want to do actual engineering, than that avenue is really not suitable, and you will have committed to a fairly long hiatus from what you should be doing.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

You'll be joining for the wrong reason. Desperation should not be a factor if you decide to sign up for the military or not. Being a soldier means 24/7 and you'll be giving up some rights and privileges normally afforded to ordinary citizens. You'll be a govenment issued piece of property to be used depending on the military needs and not per your preference (except for extreme circumstances as noted by the other poster above).

It's not for everyone and you need to be in a right frame of mind because some of the work / tasks that you'll encounter or assigned to can be mentally and emotionally taxing, not to mention being physically fit as a given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back