Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

i'm losing hope 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHALLENGERSRT

Student
Jan 12, 2024
US
sorry to make this a sad post but i hate my life. I hate my job...although i am much more tolerant at school when i'm learning about drafting. I've been trying to call places to see if anyone needs CAD work.I have lists of companies and i just cold call and also i send resumes through emails i find. Anyways, I'm in a tough situation. I have to find a job or else i'll be stuck doing minimum wage my whole life. I am 21 and i believe i need to step into a more serious role in society. So far i've just been trying to get a Drafting/AutoCAD job because i got experience and again i'm in school.
Oh btw i have knowledge of BIM and Revit, and i've made floor plans on autocad
Any tips on what to say when approaching, how can i get to more interviews

Do general contractors actually need autoCAD work.
I'm at a wits end i'm trying to find an oppurtunity so i no longer have to hate waking up in the morning....I don't hate school, i hate my minimum wage job.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try A e r o t e c h. They provide contract workers to companies that don't want the expense and effort required to place direct employees.

Contract placement companies are not your friend, but they have their foot inside a huge number of doors and the companies that come to them for workers are expecting that the weeding out of the speculative workers has already taken place, so they will be facing selecting from a few people rather than 5000 resumes. The offset is, if the contracting company doesn't like your work or whatever task they wanted done gets finished, back to the pool with you.

is another job shop (full disclosure: I'm employed by them as a job shopper).

However, these are mostly cart after the horse situations, since they don't know any more than they're told by their client companies regarding openings. Nevertheless, as mentioned by 3DD, they're the go-to places for unpublicized, short-term jobs, which might be turned into long-term employment. We had a job shopper that wound up employed for over 4 years on one project.

Note that cold-calling is unlikely to produce hard results, unless you have the phone numbers of actual managers responsible for producing work. I would suggest trying LinkedIn and contacting people there.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

CSRT,
we been thru this before with you.
You need to finish your schooling and get your degree or certificate first.
Does you school have any sort of job placement office that can help with internships or jobs?
But don’t give up now, you are still young. Just focus on getting some good skills thru education.

like SWC ... really no one will talk to you much without a degree.

Are you looking for a professional job (need a degree (even a college diploma) to get a foot in the door)
or are you looking for some AutoCad experience ?

If you're still at school, don't they have placement services ? at least contacts.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

There are literally millions of 21 year old Americans out there right now who are in school and either working minimum wage, living off of student loans, or both. You are far from alone.

Do general contractors need drafters? Some do. I've encountered a few that do small jobs that take calls from home owners, draw up the design for permitting, and then build it. One big home builder in my area has a full time architect on staff. But most I've worked with do not. They either hire out to a designer or they take jobs that have already been designed and drawn.

You have to put in the time. You have to be patient. That doesn't mean sitting around and doing nothing...by all means, keep cold calling, join local professional groups, make connections, go to job fairs. But don't lose heart just because you 'think you should be taking a more serious role in society.' As a structural engineer, if you started college at 18 the earliest you could call yourself an engineer would likely be age 26. 4 years of undergrad (many take 5), then 4 years doing was is essentially an apprenticeship with the title of either "Engineer in Training" or "Engineering Intern" depending on the state you live and work in. It's only after those 8-9 years that you can take the exam to become a professional engineer. It's a similar story with architects. So would you say those engineers and architects you want to draw for have somehow failed because they didn't take on a more meaningful role in society until they were in there mid-to-late 20s? I doubt it. So don't sell yourself short either.

Hold on a second. I just looked at your posting history. You only started school 4 months ago? And you're already loosing hope? You have some personal stuff to work out. If you can't be patient enough to stick with an educational program more than 4 months, then I'm afraid unskilled, low wage positions will be about all you have open to you.

These things take time. Either prepare yourself to do it, or don't do it. But I don't think very many people will have sympathy for you if you're not willing to put in the time and effort needed to accomplish what is required of you.

i'm just tired of being broke and seeing everyone else win. As a young man it seems a lot of you guys are out of touch to how my value correlates to how much money i make.

i could be wrong...but i doubt it.

Thats where the impatience comes...

i've considered going into the trades alongside my autoCAD program. Something like welding/fabrication maybe. I've always wanted to build my own cars. Never wanted to be a mechanic. (Like i do but only for myself)

I realize i make minimum wage because it's minimum skill.

My mission now at 21 is to finish my AutoCAD program and find a better job than cooking wings

That sounds like a good mission, stick to it.
Many if not all of us have been in similar situations at your age. I had summer jobs including working as a laborer in a foundry, bottling pool chorine, and running injection molding machines on the 12-7am shift. Ugh. Motivated me to get an engineering degree.
A good trade is a electrician. Mostly indoor work without a lot of physical labor. I have a nephew who is in an apprenticeship program being paid to learn the trade. There is a real shortage of good electricians, and the job can’t be outsourced overseas.
Just a thought.

i'm just tired of being broke and seeing everyone else win.

You need to stop watching TikTok and other social media; that is NOT reality. Reality is Consumer debt is at astronomical levels because almost everyone seems to be buying into the notion that exorbitant lifestyles is what they need/want and neither is correct.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

CHALLENGERSRT said:
As a young man it seems a lot of you guys are out of touch to how my value correlates to how much money i make.

Everything on social media you see today from young adults flexing immense amounts of cash is an outlier. They are most viewed and subscribed because people envy them. They are not indicative of what real life actually is.

If a super high paying career straight out of school and even during undergrad is what you are looking for, engineering probably wasn't the best choice. I've found that, especially as a structural engineer, we make much less than what you'd initially think. You hear "engineer" and you assume six figures out the gate, but that is far from the truth.

If I were you, I'd just give up hope altogether.
You'll feel much better and by giving up hope you won't die in despair...

I'm not sure if Facebook has ever caused the lame to walk, but it has surely caused the dumb to speak.

sage advice. failure is always an option, particularly if it opens (forces open ?) other doors.

General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

i'm not quitting drafting. I like AutoCAD and have learned the basic functions of it. I'm considering possibly going into the electrical field where i make schematics or BIM.

Thing is i hate math....but i'm into engineering at the same time.
Looking online for certifications...i don't know how to find any in real life groups that i can learn from.

I'm willing to work as an intern. I see all these big cool buildings and companies and it seems extremely intimidating to just walk in and go to the office on whatever floor (and that's if i know where it is)

I'm into drafting and AutoCAD because I'm into building 3D Cars and attention to detail...I'm on my "Site Plans" chapter in my course.
Anyways...if anything i just want to be able to get out of this state I'm in. I've lived in TN my whole life.

I have a car, however i quit my job because it was too much agony. No like it was to the point where if i didn't quit i'd hate my life more and more...because some people feel they can micromanage others and for $10 an hour i can go to another restaurant or something and actually hang with some cool people...I've worked in a whats technically a bar before when i was 17 18
Even though i was going through red pill rage and resentment with the servers i did however make some friends and they were in college.
I only bring up the red pill thing because it is the thing that's accelerating my impatience to not be making money.

Anyways, i can't stay at home all day just wasting away i need to be able to get out. Obviously i will find another job before the month ends..Or else i won't have my auto insurance and phone and that's what i pay for. Also my mum charges me rent but its not a ton of money

Last thing.

Say i were to go into a super large building and i want to speak with the manager about getting a position. How would i do it? Should i do it?
I understand that before i step foot on whatever company i need to have already sent them my resume.

"Say i were to go into a super large building and i want to speak with the manager about getting a position." ...
I doubt you'd get past security, and I doubt you'd ever get an answer if you tried to write them.

Hondajet is near you, isn't it ?
Maybe a place that does drones ??
Or architectural work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back