Imaging Through Bullet-proof Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioAviator

Electrical
Sep 8, 2003
US
Hi all,

I am a thermal imaging neophyte, so please bear with me. I hope someone can help. The situation is this...
We have a fixed-mount infrared video camera (Electrophysics Corp.) mounted above, and looking down into, an automobile shredder. The video image is used to enable the shredder operator to see through copious amounts of steam into the throat of the shredder so that he can see what he is putting into the shredder. We have the camera housed inside a substantial (read HEAVY) enclosure with a piece of expanded metal (1/2" mesh) covering the opening through which the lens looks down into the shredder.

The problem is that occasionally a piece of shrapnel will be shot up out of the shredder and make it through the mesh, striking the face of the camera lens. This, of course, destroys the lens.

Does anyone have any better ideas on how we can protect the camera lens and prevent it from being destroyed by flying shrapnel? We were thinking about using some type of bulletproof glass. Will this work? If so, what type do we need? Any other suggestions?

Much appreciated,

John R.
Cincinnati, OH.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
I recently worked out a problem for a client dealing with ir measurements of molten steel and determining when the pour goes to a slag state. The imaging equipment was protected from an environment more harsh than the one you describe and is working. You might contact Bill Barron Sr. of Williamson ir. They make environmental housings for their scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back