Impact testing criteria for vessel supports (skirts/saddles) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty007

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2012
CA
Hello,

We are building a few ASME VIII-1 pressure vessels, some on skirts and some on saddles. As the skirts and saddles are non-pressure parts, they are not covered by ASME (aside from general guidance in appendix G and weldability requirements, etc...).

Is anyone aware of any codes that would relate to impact test requirements for such components in Canada (or US for comparison)?

Thank you,
Marty

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

marty007,

According to UCS-66 of ASME Section VIII-1 and paragraph 3.11 of ASME Section VIII-2, components and attachments that are "essential to the structural integrity of the vessel" must meet Code requirements for material toughness.

There was an interpretation on the old ASME Section VIII-2...
Interpretation: VIII-2-83-01
Subject: Section VIII-2, AM-204
Date Issued: July 26, 1982
File: BC81-362

Question: Under the requirements of AM-204, would the portion of a support structure skirt or saddle welded to the vessel be regarded as a structural member essential to structural integrity?

Reply: Yes.
Paragraph 3.11 of the current ASME Section VIII-2 is similar to paragraph AM-204 of the old VIII-2.

ASME Section VIII, Div. 1 does not have a similar interpretation, but most owners in Alberta, Canada require that Div. 1 vessel supports meet the impact test requirements of the Code at -40°C or -40°F. I can't say if this is typical for the rest of the Owners in Canada. If there are no Client requirement, it's up to the vessel engineer's judgement.

metengr: There are no requirements in the client specifications relating to this specific question, we are to follow ASME VIII-1. I am just trying to confirm if there are any code requirements.

doct9960: Thank you very much for the in-depth response! That was very helpful.

I work in the ASME world, but this makes me wonder how structural engineers handle this. How would MDMT be handled for say a steel bridge in the far North of Canada? Is it handled through codes, or just purchase specifications?

Cheers,
Marty

Marty 007,
Fig.UG-66 shall be used for the requirement of impact test on structure parts of a pressure vessel. The structure parts may not be evaluated per Fig. UCS-66.1 for MDMT reduction as the parts come with different stress criteria for evaluation.

Bridge code and material spec have requirements on impact test.

An5

To ensure integrity of structural material, therefore impact test shall be required. Materials may fail to a certain temperature which is a function of thickness. You may try also to check the ASTM equivalent material requirement for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back