Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IMPORTED CURVES UNSELECTABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkcone

Automotive
Mar 31, 2009
US
Hello,
I've imported a 2D .DWG file into NX7.5. It appears to have came complete but I'm unable to select most of the lines. I can see them but cannot "pick" them. I'd like to be able to include some of the entities in a custom reference set but not all of them. I'd also like to be able to scale all of them. Does anyone know why these would be unselectable? Is there a way to "explode" or "drop" curves & entities in NX?

Thanks,
James

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NX does have a "smash custom symbol" command (Drafing -> Edit -> Annotation -> smash custom symbol), but I am not certain that the translator converts AutoCAD blocks to custom symbols.

You've probably already checked these but...
[ul]
[li]are you using an appropriate selection filter?[/li]
[li]are the layers the curves are on set to be selectable? (layers can be set to visible but not selectable)[/li]
[/ul]

How many curves were imported?
I once imported a dxf that contained 1000's of curves that made the selection process sluggish and unresponsive at times.

www.nxjournaling.com

Thanks for your responses guys.
Sam, I've opened the file three ways. First I simply used the open file command & set the drop down filter to dwg. Second I created a new empty prt file & imported the dwg while in model & drafting space. All gave the same result.

Cowski, The smash command wouldn't select anything. Tried it in modeling & drafting.
As far as the selection filter it reads "No Selection Filter". I've tried the "select all" button while trying to execute the scale command.
All layers are on.
No sure about the layers being selectable. Haven't paid attention to that before. In the Layer Settings dialog column "Visible Only" all are unchecked. Is that how you set a layer to be selectable?

James

Have you tried using the "standalone" DWG translator? Go to your start programs UGS nx 7.5 then translators. I do not know if this is any different than importing the file through NX.

Sdeters, I just tried the "standalone" DWG translator. Same results as before. A lot of unselectable entities.

I also tried all the Part Cleanup choices, no luck.

Any other ideas out there?

James

Got it. First I opened the DWG using the pull down filter. Then I created a new blank prt file, then imported the other prt file while scaleing it at the same time. Everything is selectable. :)

Thanks for the input guys.

James

Cowski, I don't know but I doubt it since this is a crude drawing of large stamping press. All lines, arcs & probably splines.

How do I tell if a layer is on but unselectable?

James

jkcone said:
In the Layer Settings dialog column "Visible Only" all are unchecked.

It sounds like all your layers are selectable. You would check the "visible only" box to make them visible but unselectable.

I asked about the line length because I did a quick forum search and ran across an old thread where someone was having trouble selecting lines. Turned out the lines were shorter than the modeling tolerance. Making the tolerance smaller fixed his problem, but it sounds like you are experiencing a different version of the problem.

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back