Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imported

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshaffer

Computer
Jul 17, 2006
US
I have a solid works assembly I got from someone. Some of the parts in the assembly don't display any features. All I see is a cube with the work imported to the right of it.
When I highlight imported the whole part is highlighted in the modeling area. How do I modify this part? Is it possible?

When I right click and select edit feature a dialog window appears that ask for a file to open.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's an imported solid. You can't edit the definition. All you can do is cut off of it; add onto it; or cut it apart, move the pieces around, and stick it back together.

Is there any way to see where it was imported from. We got a whole disk (200 gb) of models and drawings from our parent company. Would it be on that disk.

These parts were probably created in some other cad package, or just obtained as step, iges, or parasolid, and imported into solidworks. The features did not come with them. Featureworks can be used to recapture certain features, or you can do it yourself. Sounds like you need to ask the parent company who created the models with no features, have them change them, send you the new files, and use replace component in the assembly....Yeah....Good luck with that.

RFUS

Thanks for everyones help.

Actually the assebmbly I mentioned in the first post was generated from a step file. After I generated the assembly from the step file, the part was listed as part of a subassembly that was part of the top-level assembly. The part was listed as .sldprt. After the assembly was generated, I opened the part by right clicking on the part in the FeatureManager design tree and clicking open part. After I opened the part I saved it with the .sldprt extension.

I looked in the directory that I got the step file from and it had files with the following extensions
.bak
.dwg
.DXF
.SLDASM
.SLDDRW
.SLDPRT
.vbi.

Where would I obtain feature works? How much does feature works cost? How would I recapture certain features?

I don't know whether it was an assembly saved as a part.

We used to do this to save space on files for transfer by email or floppy disc. We would create a feature which enclosed the part as a last feature on the tree. For some reason, this shrank the file size. Look for a final fake feature in the tree. I always called mine "EatMe" ;-)

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2005 SP 4.0 (reluctant to change)
Nvidia Quadro FX 1000
AMD Athalon 1.8 GHz 2 Gig RAM

SnowCrash:

I believe the reason it reduced the file size is that SW saves the display/geometry data separately from the feature data that is used to rebuild/regenerate the model. This data is used for lightweight or view-only modes. If your final feature is a simple extrude or something that swallows up any more complex geometry then SW only saves the simple geometry along with the full feature data.

mdshaffer,
Sorry, I don't understand the last post. Can you show a screen shot of your feature tree and the list of files?

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

You have office pro so you have Featureworks.....Tools/Add-in's and check it.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back