Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing a Cylinder Assembly from Step File Geometry

Status
Not open for further replies.

beh188

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2009
US
I am trying to import a step file assembly made in Solid Edge in to ANSYS Workbench. The assembly models two cylinders, one is press fit onto the other with 0.003 of interference. I have modeled the system to have intersecting geometry in Solid Edge. I have been told that the model will not work in ANSYS correctly because the cylinders are in fact composed of polygons and thus the jagged edges of the model will cause incorrect contact pressure. It is true the edges of the model are jagged.

Does anyone know a way to import the assembly from a step file and remove jagged edges, or otherwise model the assembly to generate a proper press fit analysis?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've imported cylindrical objects from STEP files (created in SE, even) into Workbench without jagged edges before. Whether this is due to Workbench auto-healing the geometry or if they exist in the STEP file this way, I am not certain - but they do come in as round, non-jagged cylinders.

JCrash

I can't see your model, but you could possibly delete the areas and regenerate them in ansys using the AL command. Could be time-consuming though if you have a large model or have to import many times...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back