Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing Results When Translator Doesn't Recognize Output Variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

score33

Aerospace
Feb 13, 2006
US
Hi all,

I'm trying to import some Abaqus results into NX 7.5

The model I'm working with is a random response done in Abaqus 6.9.1, and NX 7.5 does not recognize the root mean squared results sets (RS, RE, RU, RV, RA, etc). Since I don't have access to Abaqus/CAE, I'm not sure how I can view these results. The model is too large to just print the results to a text file.

I'm wondering if there's a way I can use the scripting functions in Abaqus to manipulate or rewrite the results into a neutral file so that NX will recognize them.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have any tips or suggestions yet, but could you post a simple example (input and results file) here for me to try?

Regards,
Mark

Mark Lamping
CAE Technical Consultant
Siemens PLM Software

Thanks for the files and I reproduced the behavior you're describing. This smells like an enhancement to me. The random output requests (RU, RV, RA, RRF) are likely something we've not encountered before or simply haven't encountered enough to add it to the product. That's my guess anyway and I forwarded your data to our post processing development group for their review. I'll let you know how they reply.

Also, I read the input file into NX 8.0.1 and 20 entries weren't recognized... all related to the random steps:

| UnSupported | 20 |
| *PSD-DEFINITION | 2 |
| *RANDOMRESPONSE | 3 |
| *GLOBALDAMPING | 3 |
| *MODALDAMPING | 6 |
| *CORRELATION | 3 |
| *BASEMOTION | 3 |

So it's not a complete surprise NX is confused by the random results too.

Regards,
Mark

Mark Lamping
CAE Technical Consultant
Siemens PLM Software

Hey Mark,

I realize this is an area that hasn't been fully implemented in NX, but this is the format I was given to work with so need to find a work around.

To that end, I think I'm almost there...

In this thread I'm looking at making an Abaqus script to add a step to the ODB file and change the 'RS' resutls to 'S' results.

It seems to work when I view the operations in the python terminal, but NX doesn't recognize the newly added step when I import the results file

This is all speculation on my part. Is the converted data being written to a new ODB file or appended to the existing ODB file? If the new step is being appended, perhaps NX is choking on everything downstream to the first random step.

If you feed me example ODB files, I can continue to pass them to development for their review with the goal of short term and long term resolutions. Short term being the ability to read the converted data, and long term being the ability to fully support random pre/post processing with Abaqus.

Regards,
Mark

Mark Lamping
CAE Technical Consultant
Siemens PLM Software

I've got bad news and good news from development. The bad news is the ABAQUS RMS results aren't supported by the NX post processing tool kit. The good news is that it was fairly trivial to add support for it with respect to the ODB reader. That support will be reflected in NX 8.0.1. But there's a catch. New results types require UI effort and programming work to allow NX to display the results. There's no guarantee that work will make it into NX 8.0.1 as that release already is booked from a development project perspective. If there's little effort required, it could sneak in.

I suggest that you submit an enhancement request with GTAC and reference my response here. That way you will get notification when the enhancement is complete. Report an issue to GTAC through this link or call them:

Your example model was a blessing and very much appreciated. It made the turnaround with development easy.

Regards,
Mark

Mark Lamping
CAE Technical Consultant
Siemens PLM Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back