Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

In Rack Sprinkler

Status
Not open for further replies.

doingwhat

Electrical
Sep 10, 2013
US
I have a project that we have to install the in-rack sprinkler for plastic group A.
The existing density for the ceiling sprinkler is 0.45 GPM/sq ft. / 3,000s.f.
Storage height is 25ft and Ceiling height is 25'-10", Non-excapsulated, single row rack,

My question is do I need a separate control valve if there are less than 20 in-rack sprinkler? It will be really difficult to run a separated main from the existing riser, so can i just tie in the rack sprinkler to the nearest 6" main?

Existing pipe layout

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To you question regarding the requirements for a control valve for less than 20 IRAS, no it is not required based on the 2013 edition of NFPA 13. See Section 8.16.1.6.2.

Also, your design has a fundamental problem and that is for a storage height of 25-0 feet and a ceiling height of 25 feet - 10 inches, your ceiling sprinklers will not be provided with the required 18 inches of clearance prescribed in NFPA 13.

Have you contacted the insurance carrier to see what they want? As an insurance AHJ I would want the in rack sprinkler valve accessible and separated from the ceiling system. The in rack sprinklers WILL be hit resulting in water damage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back