Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inconel 100deg Shear Head Rivet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseda

Automotive
Oct 4, 2001
GB
Does anyone know if a spec. exists?

I know about AN123160-AN123750 but I'm after a low head rivet in the style of NAS1097/NAS1200 for high temp. use above 1200F.

Does anyone have access to the Boeing BACR15 standard or know where I might find it on the web?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

roseda...

four options...

Install a flush tension head solid rivet in the flush shear head countersink... then carefully mill-off the excess-head-height flush. May specify a reduced bucked-tail to match the reduced head after milling.

Install a protruding tension head rivet with the manufactured head on the non-flush side... and then drive the tail into the countersink. Mill-off the excess bucked-tail height flush-to-slightly high.

CAUTION: These two options may require the shop to develop techniques to accomplish work successfully [shear testing may be required].

Install 718 Inconel flush shear head Hi-Lok pins and A286 collars... or may install A286 or Inconel [silver-plated] hex/2X-hex nuts to a relatively low [shear-rated] torque.

For smaller diameters, flush shear head Inconel blind rivets are available [1200F rated].

NOTE: there are Huck and JO-Bolt style flush shear-head A286 blind-bolts [commercial P/Ns] available... but I am not sure of the max temperature rating.

CAUTION: all rivets or pin fasteners should be unplated... whereas all mating nuts/collars should have silver-plating.

Regards, Wil Taylor

Thanks for replies.

zhangtl: BACR15CE*M rivets are Monel, not Inconel.

wktaylor: I like your thinking. Do you know of a spec. for the small diameter blind rivets that you mention? (The diameters I'm after are 0.125" and 0.156")

roseda...

Inconel Sleeve Blind Rivets...

NAS1739C-*-* [+A286 pin]
NAS9311C-*-* [+Inconel pin]

TOO BAD You can't tolerate A286 [~900F+/-]... there are LOTS of A286 sleeve/pin blind rivets and small blind-bolts available.

Regards, Wil Taylor

What installation method are you able to use for a fastener with temperature above 1200f
one of your requirements was a reduced CC head, what is your parent material thickness
are threaded and or blind fasteners an option?

Countersink side is 0.05" Inco 625 sheet.
Joint thickness is 0.082"
Rivet size requirement is D0.156"

wktaylor: The two NAS specs that you mentioned have MS20426 heads, not reduced shear heads like NAS1097 but thanks anyway.

Roseda...

The (2) rivets specified have MS20426 style/size heads... but are 1/64" oversize Dia... resulting in shallower depth heads than nominal Dia MS20426. The oversize for both the NAS1097 and MS20426 style [blind-rivets] are the rivets noted. Check specs for ACTUAL head depth.

NOTE: IF You can tolerate it, specify a countersink that is 0.005--0.015" SHALLOWER than the nominal 1/64" head depth... and "allow heads to ride above flush. Way I would say this is as follows [example for 5/32-OS rivet]:

"Countersink 100-Deg X 0.037+/-0.005-deep (rivet heads may ride above flush up-to 0.015)"

... or what ever Your needs are.

CAUTION: You indicated that the top-sheet is 0.050 and the stack depth is 0.082 implying a 0.032 backside-sheet. The 0.032 is awfully thin for driving ANY 5/32" solid or blind rivet: the hole may buckle/distort when the rivet is driven or set. In this case suggest considering a 718 Inconel FSH Pin & Shear Collar MF Hi-Lok combo... or spot/seam-welds.

Regards, Wil Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back