Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Industrial Park Employee Population Density

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpsAP

Civil/Environmental
Jun 30, 2005
US
I am doing some development work for a proposed light industrial park. I would like to give an estimated statistic for the number of jobs that could be expected from development of a 50 acre parcel in west central Ohio. Is there a design number that is typically used? - or - where can I go to get this data? Thanks hpsAP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The National Building Code of Canada gives an occupancy load of 4.6 sq m per person for manufacturing occupancies, less for storerooms etc.

This is the upper limit on the number of people allowed into the building at any one time for fire protection calculations and not on the number of people working at any one time.

I’d suggest that the number of jobs to be created varies greatly depending on the type of manufacturing and on the technology used in the manufacturing.

Do you have target industries in mind?

Can you ask some potential tenants of your industrial park how big their current facility is and the number of people employed?

Are there some industry associations for your target industries that may have some broad industry averages?

Perhaps you could search the internet for this information; you may find companies give their number of employees at certain facilities and the size of these facilities.

In any case once you come up with a number I’d forecast only about 75% of that number. If the project is still viable at the lower number then the additional number of jobs would not change that fact.

Best to under forecast and exceed expectations.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

I am also doing some development work for an industrial park (70 acres). I am looking for guidance for water requirements, sewage requirements. Very difficult b/c we dont know who the tenants will be. It may be a company that uses a lot of water in the manufacturing process. Or it could be a warehouse type business that uses relatively little water. I would appreciate any guidance. HpsAP, I will pass any info that I collect on to you.

How about trying the ITE Trip Generation Manual? You ought to have a rough idea of how many lots you are craving out of this thing. Assuming you know the zoning; commercial, office, industrial, you should be able to close in a number pretty quickly.

Your Department of Public Health / EPA should have standard numbers on water usage for employees, residents, customers, etc. This would allow you to back into a usage rate for everything but a high use industrial process. Unless there are specific talks with such, I wouldn't try to guess at the water needs of some yet to be identified user.

Really want to cheat, call a neighboring community that has an industrial park and see what they did. This would at least identify what the local market already provides.

Fire flows usually govern pipe sizing for most applications not actual water usage.

However the type of tenant will also govern the fire fighting requirement.

Best to slightly oversize since it will only cost the additional pipe size and not the cost to replace with larger pipes later.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

RDK, good catch. I should have clarified it as water usage for sizing the sewers. Min pressures for fire flow would typically come into play, unless the funding mechanism or community doesn't provide for such. Many of the stateside rural development grants do not allow for upsizing for fire protection.

As an upper limit on sewer sizing take the incoming water flow and assume that all the taps are turned on and flowing into the sewer.

Convert the static pressure to a velocity head and then to a flow and see how much water potentially can flow into the area and that will give you your maximum sewer size needed.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back