Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

industrial strength standards? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbdesigns1

Automotive
May 8, 2003
CA
are there any type of industry strength standards for products?

for ex: I've gotten a project from a company and I'm suppose to manufacture enclosures for wireless transmitters. The enclosure is nothing more than a box dimensions 4x4x.5 inches. the enclosure has to be strong enough to meet some sort of industry standards/requirements.

P.s. I'm not an engineer rather an industrial designer who likes to work with composite materials. so any input will be appriciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

fbdesigns1,

Enclosures for electrical equipment are generally given a NEMA rating dependent upon the environment for use. Visit the standards area at NEMA for more information.

Regards

Hi fbdesigns1

As PSE wrote, NEMA would be where I would start. You could also look at ANSI and IEEE specs. for some guidance.

It would be good to know the intended application and the environment these are to be used, i.e. warehouse, office bldg. manufacturing facility. Will the installation be typically exterior or interior. I have seen very simple projects become complex because of location.

Is there a possibility of electromagnetic effects on the transmitter. Maybe strength is not the only thing to be considered.

I am looking forward to reading more responses to your question.
Good Luck,
ietech

If the product is going into Europe, you'll want to reference IP (Ingress Protection) ratings, and determine the degree to which your device requires protection.

Best regards.....

"Half of the people you know are below average" - Stephen Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back