Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inertia units conversion 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpelec

Electrical
Jul 12, 2005
US
I feel as though this may have been explained before, but my searching was not successful. My apologies if I have missed the answer...

I am an electrical engineer struggling with the units of inertia.

I have a specification that states that the inertial load is 0.65 lb-in-sec^2. I can't think of inertia in those units, and so I want to convert to kg-m^2.

I have found several online calculators that can perform this conversion. Here are two:

So, all seems good, but I can't work out how on earth the conversion is happening without any additional information given the change in units.

My question is this: what is the theory behind converting an inertia from lb-in-sec^2 to kg-m^2?

Many thanks,

BPELEC.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

swearingen, I share your aversion for the lbm and kgf units but unfortunately kgf was/is very widely used in European texts (and engineering practice) and the lbm is probably the most widely used unit of mass ever conceived. This ongoing problem with units was why I wrote the Uconeer program kindly plugged by rob768 above. As an indication of the need for this sort of program, Uconeer averages about 4000 downloads per month, and it is only one of dozens of unit conversion programs available.

Harvey

Katmar Software
Engineering & Risk Analysis Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back