Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

infinite elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

alperturan

Civil/Environmental
Oct 24, 2003
SA
Hi all,

I am running a soil-pile dynamic explicit simulation and using the infinite elements to simulate the unbounded soil boundaries. When I was doing the implicit solution, I used to model soil and infinity as two separate parts then make an inp file including both parts in the assembly and used to change the element type for the part infinity to infinite elements and tie this two parts together before running the analysis. However, in explicit solver when I try to tie, program gives error.

1. What is the way to get rid of this error?

2. How can assign infinite elements to a segment of a part, while the others segments are regular finite elements?

any help will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I couldnt get the error massage actually. It just says the analysis can not continue. I tried partitioning the the part. However, since I change the element type into infinite elements using the inp file, it becomes impossible to set the right orientation. Is there anyway to change a finite element to infinite using CAE?

Infinite elements has its own node order, which is apparently different from standard elements.
Maybe you need to check whether you need to change the node order as well when you change the element type into infinite elements.

Hi guys,

What I have figured out is that if you segment the element in explicit scheme into FE and infinite element parts (without using tie) it works.

Cheers,

Hi alperturan,

I want to apply infinite elements in the ABAQUS/Standard.
Could you please, explain in-detail how to assign infinite elements?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back