Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Info about sulfur burners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruckus

Chemical
Sep 19, 2003
US
Hello-I am seeking information on sulfur burners. Our process needs to burn S to produce SO2. We will burn 3-5 tons/day. Any information will be helpful, including problems or pitfalls that you have come across. Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was just looking at some old technology to produce SO3, for introduction into certain coal-fired power plant flue gas; to enhance fly ash resistivity. During my search I noted one manufacturer of a SO3 generation system, see
Not sure if their system starts with elemental S or SO2, but I've seen older systems on power plants that burn S.

Mike

there are a number of small, point of use, sulfur burning SO2 processes.

the key is defining your product requirements (purity/strength/temperature/pressure/etc.) and the utilities available.

Our process will use the SO2, but we will have to absorb it into a caustic solution inorder to store it for later use. I am looking for information on how the sulfur burner works, ie, how is the sulfter burned, is it burned simply in dry air, materials of construction, environmental issues. Sulfuric Acid problems, with corrision of downstream equipment. Just some Ideas, thanks for your help.

There is some good information on sulphur burning systems on the web and in litterature. You might want to reference information on sulphur products and sulphuric acid production.

There are a number of different designs that can be used and the one chosen will greatly depend upon your requirements. A well designed system can be operated economically and efficiently with little down time. A poorly designed and operated system can be very costly - both in terms of capital and operation.

You might want to look into a jet type burner. In this system, molten sulphur is pumped to the burner unit where dry compressed air is used to atomize the sulphur and direct it into the burner unit. Combustion takes place in the burner in presence of air - introduced by a forced or induced draft system.

The burner chamber is typically constructed of refractory lined steel. If you are interested in producing SO2, you might want to consider a high strength gas stream, which minimises the formation of SO3. The incorporation of a quench tower, used to quickly lower the temperature of the resultant SO2 stream, will also minimise the formation of SO3. This is also constructed of refractory lined steel.

The Chemipulp Jenssen division of Stebbins International, located in Watertown NY, builds well designed sulphur burning equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back