Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information on Dual Material Molds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcAnjel

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2001
US
I'm looking for a good source of information on the design of 2 shot injection molds capable of combining two types of plastics (specifically PA66 and some type of soft elastomer type plastic). This is to be used in the waterproofing of electro-mechanical switches. Any information is welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This info may be too late to help you, but I am new to this website. I have worked for two companies that do two shot molding. If you are a molder looking to do this yourself, there is not a lot of information available other than finding someone who has designed the tools before. Finding a toolmaker who has made two shot tools can also be very helpful in that they can tell you what they have done in the past. If you are a product designer, your best bet is to talk to a molding house that has experience in this area.

Thank you for the post. Last week I actually found out that one of the factories we work with has lots of experience with double shot molding technology. Specifically with a combination of hard and rubbery just like I was looking for! How lucky can you get! I have to completely agree with you, there is very little information on double shot molds. So I'm learning all I can from them. Too bad they are in China (the language barrier is a little challenging at times)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back