Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Infrared switch with low voltage reciever

Status
Not open for further replies.

obsy

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2004
AU
Hi all,

I'm designing and constructing a remotely operated infrared switch with a 1.4Volt power supply for the reciever.

I want to be able to remotely switch on and off another circuit. The system will comprise of two parts the transmitter and the reciever.

The reciever will be between the power source and the circuit I wish to switch on and off.

The transmitter will use a power pack ( say 12volts or less) and house a switch (push on - push off is prefered operation) and an infrared LED.

The reciever must be as compact as possible (use mimimal components) while also being able to run off 1.4 Volts.

I know there are kits and circuits already designed for recievers powered off 9 volts and 12 volts but I need the reciever to work with 1.4 volts.

I can get away with adding some more batteries to get 2.4 or 3.6 volts power source to the reciever if neccessary.

Any help at all with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Obsy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are infrared receivers in remote control toys that use low voltages. And TV remotes only use 2-AA cells to start with.

TTFN

You have got my curiosity up, why 1.4 jolts ? I guess you could use a tiny switcher or DC to DC converter to get the jolts your kit needs or just redesign using low power CMOS devices. The kit might even work as is or with a few value changes on key componants. What load are you switching ? You wont be able to use a nice power mosfet like the IRF511
without at least 2 volts ? So you will have to bias some kind of load transistor and it may be prone to triggering from noise if you are not careful at that low voltage. I'm guessing at least some of the wiring will be point to point. Thats harder to keep noise free than the nice ground plane PCB's commercial low voltage units use. If you do stick with the 1.4V level, I recomend short leads, filter caps and a ground plane project board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back