Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Initial/residual stress due to shot peening process

Status
Not open for further replies.

smyth13

Mechanical
Oct 19, 2006
US
I am trying to apply some initial compressive stress to the surface of a casting due to the shot peening process. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I am looking to apply this initial stress as a function of depth into the surface. Does anyone know if this is possible using the INISTATE command?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think this would be really hard to do. Shot peening causes a compressive stress near the surface. But below the compressive level there has to be a tensile stress to create a force field that is in equilibrium. One would have to specify the stress variation with depth and ensure that total is zero. I have also thought about this problem, but so far do not know the solution. If you find a solution I would also like to know.

gurmeet

I have been thinking about overlaying some layered shell elements on the solid with each layer containing a certain value of initial stress. I am not sure exactly how to implement this correctly though.....it is just a thought. Not even sure if it is possible.

I think simulating that effect realistically isn't that transparent (see gurmeet2003), so I sugested a method which just ignores the deeper intrications, caused in the real manufacturing process.

A layer-, element- or integration-point-wise varying INISTRESS seems more like it (again see gurmeet2003), but a varying Modulus may appeal - if you think of calibrating against failure based on admissible strains. I.e. if instead of looking at admissible stresses you use strains as the design criteria.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back