Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inquiries (Engineering Data + Solution)

Status
Not open for further replies.

osama91

Civil/Environmental
Jul 27, 2013
BH
Hello,

I have some inquiries about the Engineering Data and the solution of ansys workbench. I have attached a project which has Unreasonable results, I think this would calrify the problems I am facing.

As for the Engineering data:

I have a non-linear material (Soil), I have performed test on it to find the stress-strain data hoping that would be suffecient to substitute the Elastic Modulus by entering values for (Uniaxial Compression Test). However, if I generate the (Solve) to obtain results the program would give an Error message which declares that a modulus of elasticity has to be defined (As if the stress-strain data are useless).
My Question:

Is my idea of stress-strain data correct ot not ? Do this data substitue the Elastic Modulus?

As for the Solution:

When I ask the program for the normal stress, the output is not so convincing. For example, if I define the material to have a density of (2000kg/m3), the material is formed in the shape of a cube (Edge length = 5 m), due to the gavity acceleration only, the normal stress in the direction parallel to the gravity has to be equal to = (Density) * (g) * h = 98100 N/m2. However, this is not the case I am having in my project ( The stresses I am getting is much less) . Not to mention that in my project, there are stresses other than the one due to gravity. So, the total normal stress should be greater than the one due to gravity only.

My question is:
What do you think the problem is? Is it with the engineering data it self? or with the connections ? or in one of the solution settings? Please help me !!

I hope the project I have attached will clarify my inquiries.

Best Regards,
Osama

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm sorry, but I cannot open your attachment. I'd recommend you double-check your density, your acceleration load, and your constraints. Have a look at your reaction force and see if it's what you'd expect.

Thanks flash3780 for trying. I checked everything several times but with no good conclusion. I would be appreciate if you try to open the attachment one more time, I think you have to extract the files from zip folder. I also added the geometry file (iges) to the attachment.

Best Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back