Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert custom symbol by Drawing coordinates 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdlock

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2010
US
I defined a custom symbol (text entity) within a drawing, and defined the Anchor with Point Dialog, to X=0, Y=0. This portion went fine.

Now I want to insert the symbol (Insert, Symbol, Custom) in another drawing at the coordinates X=0, Y=0, but I cannot find any options to simply type in drawing coordinates.

Can anyone help me?

Scott B. Caley
TE Connectivity
NX 7.5.2

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, what you do is when you have the Custom Symbol dialog open and after you've selected your symbol from the 'catalog', in the 'Origin' section of the dialog, select the 'Origin Tool' icon (it's the one with the letter 'A' in it to the right of where it says 'Specify Location'). When the 'Origin Tool' dialog opens, first toggle OFF the 'Associative' option and then select the 'Point Constructor' icon (the 6th of 7 icons) and then expand the list of 'Origin Location' options, selecting the last one in the drop-down list labeled 'Point Constructor'. When the 'Point' dialog opens you will now be able to enter an origin in 'Drawing Sheet' coordinates.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

I had tried that originally, but had gotten thrown off in the very last step, thinking I had to select an object as requested in the dialog. All I had to do is click OK, then Cancel. Interestingly I had clicked OK, but there was no response from NX (other than blinking the 'Point' dialog off then back on again). I did not know I had to click Cancel at this point. Had the symbol appeared after clicking OK, I would have thought to Cancel out of the dialog.

Thanks again John.
Scott

Scott B. Caley
TE Connectivity
NX 7.5.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back