Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

insert pdf files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice

Civil/Environmental
Aug 16, 2001
US
hey everyone,

how do you insert pdf files into an autocad drawing?

thanks
Juice

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

As far as I know, the only thing you get when pasting a pdf file, is an embedded object, which you can "run", that is read by Acrobat. But the text is not available. However, you can copy text from the pdf file into autocad like a mtext object.

Hope this helps,
Roberttx.

This exact question has just popped up yesterday for me aswell, so I'd also like to find a solution please.

However, I think it's unlikely since .pdf's are pretty much a law unto themselves ;o)

Regards

Marc

Go to the AutoDesk web site, (Knowledge Base) section and search for Document # (ID: TS43623) Instead of using the default "All the words" use "Document #". It states of some way of inserting text or graphics into AutoCAD.
I have not tried this but hope it helps.

This will insert the file as an ole object in your drawing.

I read a somewhere there was an add-on that will allow you to import the line graphics of a pdf file into an AutoCAD drawing as lines. I can't remember what it was but now that I need to use it, I can't remember where I read about it. Does anyone know about an add-on like this? I'd hate to have to redraw all the lines from the site map when they're already there on the PDF.

Hi,
I read the document base and basically states the same thing I told you before; however, you might want to give a try to pasting the image with the image tool (from Acrobat) and vectorize it using the tip from the Converting Bitmaps to Dwg Objects (other post on this site).

Hope this helps,
Roberttx.

Did anyone find anything on the add on that autocad can bring the map into a dwg?

PDF has both raster and vector capabilities.

If the source information used to create the PDF was in a
vector format, GhostScript allows you to covert that
portion of the PDF file created with vectors to a DXF
file, which can then be inserted into a dwg file.

The raster portion of the PDF file is not converted.

The original vectors often were created as polygons
(common with vector based graphic arts programs) and
will convert to lines as polygons, but can easily be
converted back to single lines. Circles and arcs become
multi-faceted lines and sometimes the resolution of the
arc is less than desirable. Text comes across as polygons
and not as text.

GhostScript also has the ability to convert PDF documents
to individual pages which can then be converted to a JPEG
file and inserted as a raster file.

But the beauty of the vector based PDF information is that
once converted through DXF and inserted into the DWG, it
can then be scaled and edited.

Often there is a lot of clean up work, but the PDF may
be the only source of information available.

If you can save/convert the PDF to a TIFF file, you can then go to: Insert...Raster Image...and then choose the TIFF file you want to insert.

but even with a TIFF the file size is HUGE and also the quality will not be the same.

If there is a way to OVERLAY the PDF in a dwg.. that would be cool.

Is the pdf file lines? You might try to vectorize it with wintopo. They have a free version on their webstite. After you run the edge detection, you can save it as a dxf file, then open it in autocad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back