Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instable results if not using VGLUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwf

Mechanical
Aug 9, 2007
US
I am trying to simulate an object with several component stacking together. The edge of the bottom component is fixed (displacement =0). The pressure is applied on the top component. Initially I glued them together and I got good results. However, if I do not use the VGLUE command to simulate the real situation, the ANsys could not run through, stating " the displacement of node XXX is surpassing a certain limit." How can I address this issue? do I need to establish a contact model between two neighboring components? or add some more boundary conditions?

Thank you, have a great weekend.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your observations are only logical. Is there a reason for not having them glued? I don't typically like using the xGLUE commands. Personally, I prefer a continuous mesh but to each his own.

Your options now are:

a) contact elements (previously mentioned by you)
b) coupling constraint equations
c) make the mesh continuous

It seems as though option c is potentially the easiest here. Being that your volumes were able to be glued you should just be able to merge the geometry using the NUMMRG command. Just remember, when you save changes are permanent so make sure you have what you want.

Hi
Option C is better just depends what is his interest
If he just want to transmit force, don't want to see how joint behaves. don't want to see shear and joint stresses your option might be good.
But still better would be contact with bonded, it don't have meshing hours and effort more..
Coupling is good option and i would prefer distributed or or say RBE3
I would prefer contact with some control option like ,,friction, bonded eetc turned on to faciliate convergence
But surely you can not leave anything free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back