Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Installing Orbix services???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB53

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2016
ZA
Can somebody please assist (the local Siemens vendor just insists that Ideas is no longer supported and does not want to know anything about my problems + GTAC just refers me back to them).

I am running Ideas 64.0.0.5 under Windows7 Prof SP1. It is a new installation and when attempting to export .stp or .igs I get the notification that Orbix is not functional. When opening Services it is evident that the 4x IT iona_services are not there.

How do I go about:
1. finding it
2. Installing it

Your help will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Orbix install should have been the first step that the Installer went through.

Since you say this is a new installation, I'm wondering if that step was somehow missed?

Is it possible an older I-deas was on this and therefore an older Orbix?

You can check to see if the "iona" folder is there. If it is, then perhaps the Services are not being started? (although you said they are "not listed" at all? If so, then it's not installed).

You can try to go back and run that part of the install again. Just run the Installer.

If that does not work, you can try to install manually from the install folder.

There was also a Windows 7-specific Orbix posted to GTAC a few years back (with I-deas 6.1, IIRC), when Win 7 first came out, and you could pull that one (it might be older than what ships with I-deas 6.4, but should be compatible).

I-deas is definitely still supported, so you can call GTAC for assistance.

Let me know how it goes.

Pat McManus
Siemens PLM Software

You need to run "pre-requisites" for I-deas (or similar, it's out my memory now).
It installs the java toolkit + orbix

After orbix installation you should have IT Iona_services running. There should be four of them.

Latest installed for me was NX-Ideas 6.5 (in combination with Teamcenter 11.2).
We're migrating data to NX, but it takes time...

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=94d26ad0-c23d-4871-893f-9b3520a6d5ee&file=it-iona-2016-10-21_17-05-49.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back