Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

instructed to break copyright law 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebk

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2007
US
I have been instructed to send a copy of an industry standard to a vendor. The problem is that there is an obvious statement on the document that it is protected by international copyright law and is not to be distributed, copied, etc.

I really don't want to do this and I have been dragging my feet to avoid it but this will eventually come to an impasse. I am sure if I don't do as I am told there will be some upset folks further up on the food chain. I don't think this would pose a major legal problem but it obviously breaks copyright law(s) so I really don't want to do this.

If anyone has successfully avoided this without endangering or losing their job I would appreciate any advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I often get asked for a copy of some paper referenced in our documentation. I always decline, giving a full reference and possible place to buy it from.

I've been in a similar situation from the vendors point of view. We were asked to ensure our designs comply with a report produced by one of those industry reasearch groups. You can't get a copy of the report unless you are in the group and joining the group costs thousands. As the requirement to comply was added after we won the contract, we gave them the option of giving us the report or we'll give them our design and then can check we've complied and let us know. We've reached a compromise where they "lend" us their report for each design so we can check the design and then we return their copy to them again. In reality, I have a copy in my desk, but only to save driving over to their offices each time I complete a design. My own personal ethics on this issue stops me from using the copy on anyone else's projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back