Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instrument Datasheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimawi

Chemical
Jul 27, 2008
AU
Hi All,

I have briefly done instrument datasheets in my previous life but now have some gaps in my memory on how they should be done.
I remember we used to fill out the instrument datasheets to be sent to procurement. Where my memory failed me is:
Does the instrument datasheet get usually updated after the instrument is selected? say additional data from the manufacturers datasheet to be added to the project datasheet?
And, I can't remember if there was two forms of datasheets, one for procurement, and another for "as built", or is it it just the one form?

I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends. There are instrument performance data sheets that go through detailed engineering where instrument purchase specifications are created. Information on whatever is purchase should make its way into the “as built” equipment files.

Good Luck,
Latexman

IRstuff,
Datasheets is what we used to call them in the oil & gas industry, including the ones issued as procurement specifications.

In the O&G Engineering field, the data sheet is normally developed from the preliminary design through procurement, construction, and as-built process. It applies for all disciplines, such as I&E, piping, as well as equipment items.
It serves as a project records not only for the routine O&M activities, but for the engineering references for the life of the Plant.

In an ideal world what should happen is that you first fill out the data sheet as best you can to describe your requirements, but then either certain sections or line items are for the vendor to fill in "VTA" Vendor to advise - as part of their bid, i.e. an "Issue for tender"

In reality they tend not to do this to any great extent, but then the DS is issued for purchase with, e.g. the particular model umber or other data specific to the vendor included.

The vendor then fills in the rest of the data, submits it as part of the package and then it gets filed as "as supplied" or As built"

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back