Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insulation of cold pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorer

Chemical
Jan 24, 2003
DE
Hi

We currently pump a slurry from a tank at 3 degC through a bank of tubular filters. Product returns to the feed tank, which has glycol on the tank jacket. Product increases in temp over time despite this cooling. Recently the bank of filters was insulated - the idea being that this would reduce the rate of increase in temp, which is undesirable. The lagging was intended to reduce heat pick up from the air Lagging seems to have made things worse. The temperature now rises more quickly. Is this possible? Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although I don't have a clear picture of your situation in my head - I can suggest maybe you have a thickness of insulation where the increase in convection caused by the extra surface results in an increase in the heat transfer? see critical thickness of insulation in a heat transfer book if this sounds like something that may apply.

cdvk

Didn't get a clear idea of the temperature of the glycol, which can get somewhat sluggish below 3°C, depending on the dilution.

TTFN

Glycol is supplied to the jacket at -5 degC. I'm not sure of the dilution. A crust builds up on the inside wall of the tank which reduces the heat transfer. It seems that the amount of heat put in by the recirc pumps is more than can be removed by the jacket. However, will lagging the filter bank (formerly stainless steel tubes) have made things worse.

It seems as absorbed moisture is the culprit. If the low-temperature insulating material absorbs atmospheric moisture or vapour (condensing below its dew point) its thermal conductivity will dramatically increase. One should use coating vapour barriers of low moisture permeability to avoid this occurrence. Ice, if forming at the prevailing temperatures, has an intensification factor of about 4 !!
Good luck.
Today is a good occasion for rising the [americanflag].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back