Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insulation spec for steam/condensate piping 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

foodprojengr

Chemical
Jun 25, 2008
US
I'm finishing up a scope for some insulation contractor proposals and I was wondering what is standard for insulation thickness and type. We're insulating piping for steam, boiler blow down water, and condensate with diameters ranging from 3/4" to 6". I was planning on spec'ing fiberglass, 3 lb density, with 2" thickness for 6" pipe and 1 1/2" thickness for smaller diameters. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also, on blankets for large valves and flanges, I was planning on using silicone cloth, threaded with teflon thread (not sure what thickness to spec) and tempmat insulation, which I understand is rated for 1000-1200F. Our steam shouldn't get over 350F

I don't have any of my insulation specs handy but assuming you are talking relatively low temperatures (say under 300F or somewhat above atmospheric pressure) for the condensate piping I would say your thicknesses are reasonable. Most of my work is in the oil and gas industry and they have standardized thickness tables and materials they specify to the contractor.

Let me know if you want me to take a look at them. Fiberglass is good if it won't have any traffic on it (eg Operators walking on the piping). If you need something more robust than calcium silicate is often specified but it's insulation value is not as good and it's more time consuming to install.

Sans standards, I'd suggest it also depends on why you are insulating... the reasons could be:
[ul][li]safety... to protect workers who might accidentally contact the steam pipes[/li]
[li]Energy efficiency to reduce heat loss to an acceptable standard[/li]
[li] temperature control - where it is important to reduce heat loss to an absolute minimum or to prevent rapid temperature transients caused by heat loss[/li][/ul]
So anything from basic lagging to molded calcium silicate could be called for... and the more efficient the lagging, the more expensive.

JMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back