Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intake Air Louvers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkS

Mechanical
Mar 26, 1999
US
I am having problems with snow entering through louvers and piking up in the ductwork or air handling units. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Are there any suggested solutions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never heard of it before - you seem to work in a different climate. Entrainment of rainwater is common and is controlled by sizing the louver to a published face velocity. Possible suggestions: alter the location with respect to the prevailing wind, keep louver face velocity low, build an awning over the louver, provide a sudden change of direction before entering the ductwork so that centrifugal force will force the snow to collect elsewhere.

Yes, I've had this problem before in the North Central States. We,ve gone so far as build a plenum behind the louver with a drain in the bottom that goes to a floor drain in a mechanical room. Wind driven snow is going to drift in and you have to make provisions for it!<br>
<br>
PhilW

There is a proprietary product available for this application.<br>
I will be happy to give contact info via e-mail if you want.<br>
You can let me know at &lt;pi-cats.usa.net&gt; if required.

When it comes to light or powdery snow, I do not think there is any louver that can stop all snow entry. The only solution I have been able to work out is to assume it will enter, then pitch the bottom of the duct or plenum to louver or to a drain.

Re the Light / Powdery snow problem, just an idea - Has anyone tried the sand louvre? In the middle east we used them for inlet and exhaust (they were necessary for sand storms). If I remember ?ork and ?arrier offered them as an option. Although they were used all year in the middle east it could be a solution, noted they do have a high pressure drop and were relatively expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back