Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inter-rivet buckling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

midsidenode

Mining
Sep 18, 2006
US
I'm performing some crippling analysis using Needham and need to compute some allowable inter-rivet buckling stress of some aluminum skin. The fasteners are countersunk tension head rivets and i planned on using L'/p = (2(2^.5)s)/t with the applicable column instability curve to get by allowable value. This would be fine with one row of rivets -but there are 2 rows of rivets (staggered) on this compression member. Does anyone know how to compute L'/p for 2 staggered rows of rivets?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A complicated subject with an empirical base, connected to effective sheet widths. See Bruhn Section C7.12 to C7-20 for discourse. Fir is elastic, wrinkling is plastic.
With staggered rows, use the lengthwise spacing of each row to calculate Fir for each row unless the 1/2W calculated from the effective sheet width puts each row within the influence of the other (this will normally be the case). If so then use p=diagonal spacing between rivets to compute Fir.
Bear in mind that the whole deal is empirical.

I have seen the use of the short fastener span length as the unsupported distance when the diagonal length gave the "wrong" answer. This in certification files of a major OEM for a very popular commercial aircraft.

Was the answer too conservative or did testing show that the panel buckled between fasteners prior to what was calculated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back