Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interesting Dilemma 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
The City of Winnipeg is insisting on certification as noted. Apparently, the association has agreed to the wording.

Clipboard01_yyllxn.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes... I'll be in contact with them.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I don't field review my work, unless the EOR stipulates it... My exceptions include under the heading of 'CERTIFICATION' and are edited depending on the requirements of the EOR:

-CERTIFICATION THAT WORK AND ASSOCIATED COMPONENTS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS IS NOT BY R.A.COATES, P.ENG.
-CONSTRUCTION REVIEW OF SEALED WORK IS NOT BY R.A.COATES, P.ENG.
-R.A.COATES, P.ENG. WILL CERTIFY BY LETTER THE WORK HAS BEEN COMPLETED IN SUBSTANTIAL COMPLIANCE WITH DOCUMENTS BEARING HIS SEAL. THIS MAY BE BASED ON CONSTRUCTION REVIEW BY QUALIFIED PERSONNEL ACTING ON HIS BEHALF. THIS CERTIFICATION DOES NOT RELIEVE THE ENGINEER OF RECORD OF ANY RESPONSIBILITY.

-----*****-----

-Dik

skeletron said:
I would tend to disagree that this would void any standard E&O insurance policy; in my opinion, that thinking is overly-cautionary.

I mentioned the insurance aspect above not because I would be certain that insurance protection would be withheld but that you can't be certain that it won't.

While it is "a different issue" than the OP, it is still a valid concern.

Engineers should NEVER "assume" that the insurance company will come to their rescue with any and all lawsuits.
It is common practice, and good practice, to always have lines of communication open with the insurance folks when occasions like this occur.
Calling them is not a huge task to get their take on it and respond accordingly.

I've passed that information on to my employer, just as a caution... I hadn't considered the insurance part of the problem. Every buck an insurance company pays out, comes directly out of their profit, so there's a strong incentive not to pay.

-----*****-----

-Dik

The real name is Richard Alexander... but it's way too long. I was known as Dick... by nearly everyone, and prior to that Dickie... My Baptismal certificate lists me as Dickie, as well as my promotion note from Kindergarten to Grade 1. I used to sign everything as Dick until about 50 years back... when in haste, the 'c' disappeared... so, I've used Dik since. When I developed the signature, it was sort of a 'happy face' Dik as it shows above with the eyeball and the smile...

-----*****-----

-Dik

EOR or my clients do not normally send me site pictures unless there is a construction problem, or the EOR requires construction review. It's not often... I've done about 930 projects in the last 3 years (most quite small, only a couple of hours) and less than 10 required a report. I've never been asked for mill certs, but my client may have... I dunno. If asked, I'd pass the request to my client. The only time I've had/requested a lot of photos was for an alteration to about a 10 storey building, where the existing structure was heavily reinforced... and existing drawings were not available/incorrect. I have an incredible assortment of types of work... as you can tell from some of my postings. I also have a low boredom threshold. It works out well.

-----*****-----

-Dik

It could be worth sending comments to the association on how this affects delegated designers. I feel if they dont get the questions they will not be able to accommodate or push the AHJ to accommodate.

I've got to dig up some info first, then I will send them a query... it just seems wrong in so many ways.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back