Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interference fit (press fit) cylinder liners 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim14202

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2019
US
We're restoring a 392 Hemi from a numbers matching Chrysler to be used as a daily driver. The car has been in our customer's family since new and the engine rebuilt twice. We plan on using interference fit cylinder liners in all 8 bores as part of the rebuild. Will this allow a future rebuild with cylinder liners of the same size or will the interference fit irreversibly deform the bores and require an oversize liner on the next rebuild?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could use liners with enough wall thickness to allow another re-bore.

That's a possibility. Is a properly fit interference-fit liner going to erode/deform the bore?

No, liners are designed to be replaced and should not plasticly deform the block. Typically they are a VERY light press due to being a fairly thin casting and in many cases installed via hand tools.

There are some dry liner diesel engines that have slip fit liners, though there is a deck flange. I think the press fit should be no more than .0025, check with the supplier of the liner for the recommendation.

There are some dry liner diesel engines that have slip fit liners, though there is a deck flange. I think the press fit should be no more than .0025, check with the supplier of the liner for the recommendation.

The slip fit diesel liners have a tendency to erode/fret the flanges/cylinder bore requiring an oversize sleeve when rebuilt. Is there any reason this wouldn't happen with a press fit liner?

Jim14202 said:
The slip fit diesel liners have a tendency to erode/fret the flanges/cylinder bore requiring an oversize sleeve when rebuilt. Is there any reason this wouldn't happen with a press fit liner?

While I have never personally disassembled an engine with press fit liners (I am familiar with the dry fit liners of the 71 series Detroit Diesel). I believe fretting could still wear on the outside of the press fit liners due to small differences in thermal expansion.

While I have never personally disassembled an engine with press fit liners (I am familiar with the dry fit liners of the 71 series Detroit Diesel). I believe fretting could still wear on the outside of the press fit liners due to small differences in thermal expansion

Wouldn't that only come into play if the liner was made of a different material than an engine? (i.e., An iron block and iron liner would have the same thermal expansion rate)

Typical US cylinder sleeves come in .093" and .125" wall thickness.
Neither will ruin the bore for future rebuilds. Sleeve back to standard bore diameter with .125" sleeves and they can be rebored .010" or .020" if a future rebuild becomes necessary.

jack vines

A number of times I changed press-fit liners in the aluminum block of my blown hemi tractor-pull engine (M/T Pontiac hemi heads), no problem (~.004" interference at room temperature). Sleeves are machined from DOM steel tubing, retained by flanges sitting in deck counterbores. Flanges are intentionally thicker (a few thou) than the counterbore depths to prevent any fretting.

There are some dry liner diesel engines that have slip fit liners, though there is a deck flange

The Mitsubishi 4D55 had stepless dry liners....and they used to slip. The later 4D56 had no liners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back