Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internal DAMPING in aluminum alloy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSavin

Materials
Sep 23, 2003
IT
I'm looking for some detailed datas about the internal damping factor of cast aluminum alloy and wrought aluminum alloy. This factor is nearly unfindable (matweb included).
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for your fast answer!
Cast magnesium is an expensive choice and before changing material we must evaluate the real benefit, however I will keep it in mind.

Cast Magnesium is much more cost effective now than it used to be. What generally happens is that the part is designed in Al, has problems then someone decides to convert the part to Mg. So wall sections, radii, ribs etc. are as laid down for Al. However if the part is designed as Mg from the start with thinner walls etc. and more attention is paid to the "structural design" the cost benefits can be considerable with the added benefit of the 1/3 reduced spec' density and improved damping of noise & vibration.
This all depends on the volume required of the part of course !
Sorry for the lengthy response, Al & Mg casting is what I do in the UK and is very close to my heart !
I've been thinking a bit more about the DAMPING DATA, fixed data will be impossible to find as it is so dependant on shape, cast process used, alloy etc., etc..
I have just spoken to a colleague at a company called Calcom/ESI. If you direct your question to mail@calcom.ch for the att'n of Adrian, he will find out what data they have. They are leaders in Casting software for F.S.A. and one specific area they excel in is vibration damping.
Good luck ![ponder]

I WILL NEED ADDITIONAL INFORMATION BEFORE I CAN OFFER SUGGESTIONS, APPLICATION DETAILS, FREQUENCIES INVOLVED, TEMPERATURES, ETC. THERE ARE MATERIALS THAT CAN BE SANDWICHED BETWEEN THIN LAYERS OF MANY SUBSTRATES THAT ABSORB LARGE AMOUNTS OF VIBRATION AND SHOCK ENERGY. ALSO, LOOK UNDER VISCO ELASTIC COATINGS. VINYL'S ALSO OFFER ABSORPTION, INCLUDING DIP VINYLS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back