Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Internal Pipe material for Mixed bed exchanger vessel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardikmpanchal

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2013
5One of Vendor has offered SS316 internal pipes for mixed bed exchanger. I m worried with its competibility with HCL. Will it be accepted? Can anyone please help me out.....
Thankyou in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

316 SS piping is not suitable for installation in the interior of a mixed bed unit. The piping is not compatible with hydrochloric acid.

it is true that it is not "compatible" with HCL but take into account that the regeneration (usually not more than 8%) will be done only during certain periods of time and will not be in contact with it. in that case in a typicall installation you will have that after 10 years you will loose about 0.2mm of piping, which is acceptable if the pipe thickness wall is 1 or 2 mm.

regads

gorostidi

yes, that is right. the best solution we have found is to use ss pipes and polypropilene nozzles. What tr6 pointed is very important, in other case the resin will go through the nozzles after some time

The internal pipes are in contact with the regenerant solution, in this case HCl. The internal pipes serve to introduce and withdraw the regenerant solution.

For industrial grade equipment, 316SS is typical for H2SO4 applications. You can also use PVC, CPVC. If your are using HCL for regeneration, in lieu of 316SS for the regeneration distributor & underdrain, use Hast C.

In addition, if your application is ultrapure water, you do not want corrosion products to leach into your water.

that is right and i agree with you.

...but unfortunatelly in many installations the air pressure used for mixing the resins is more than the necessary and the ionic exchange resins make a huge force acting like a piston upwards. This is the reason why steel is used in the mid diffusers, so that this big stress can be supported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back