Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Interpretation: VII-1-04-61 Subject: UHX-10(a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidhardhead

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2006
Interpretation VII-1-04-61 states that a no-tubes-in-window (NTIW) baffle design does not fall within the scope of the code for tubesheet calculations on heat exchangers. As a result I must fall back on TEMA for my tubesheet thk calculations, correct?

If so, does the same rule apply to exchangers that do not have a full shell of tubes? i.e. exchangers with large entrance and exit areas or tube patterns which are not "uniformly perforated over the entire nominally circular area" for heat transfer purposes.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is only my thinking, but I believe that, in time, ASME will expand upon Part UHX to be more applicabe to a variety of geometries. For now, I think that it is a work in progress. Unfortunately for us, it's a pain in the arse to figure out where to apply it & where not to.

solidhardhead, I think it's perfectly reasonable under U-2(g), and I think its MUCH better than "rolling my own". After all, it was the industry standard for many years.

dgrande, no doubt, but we all have HX we need to design NOW.

Actually, I run tubesheets both UHX and TEMA, to try to get a feel for the differences, as my experience with UHX is pretty limited.

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back