Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interview Ethics question.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradpa77

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2006
US
I have an interview next week with a new company. I am a mechanical engineer that deals with design and stress analysis or machine parts. I create a lot of 3-dimensional drawings and designs using Pro/E and ANSYS. I would like to bring some printouts of my work from my current company to show off my specific skills at the interview. I really don't want to have to ask permission from my current employer to bring the drawings to the interview because I don't want them to know that I am doing a job search. The new company is not a competitor of ours. The new job is actually a whole different industry altogether, so it's not like I will be providing a competing company with sensitive information that could be detrimental to my current company.

Is it unethical or possibly even illegal to bring these types of documents to an interview???

What if I bring brochures that are available to our customers that show our product lines and capabilities? They would show components that I would typically work on. Since these brochures are available to the public, would they be considered intellectual property?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The drawings are company property. I do not believe you can provide them for your personal use. I don't know the legal issues, but I don't think it is ethical.

If you were to create drawings of items similar to what you work on, then you might be ok. Not if you do it on company time or using company equipment (computer, software).

If you really feel the drawings are necessary to showcase your talents, you could create drawings at home on your own computer and on your own time. However, I would be careful to make the reasonably different from the actual product created by your company.

The brochures are questionable in my opinion. Again, they would be items created at your current company and with their equipment that you would be using for personal use. If the brochures, other literature, or pictures are available on the company website, perhaps you could just direct the interviewer to review that and obtain them on their own.

Just my 2 cents,
-- MechEng2005

Bring your corporate brochures and show them which ones you have done. Explain your ethical concerns - they should understand.

Do you really need the drawings to showcase your abilities? Even without the ethical concerns, if I was your interviewer I would be worried that if I hired you you might be showing my drawings to other companies in 5 years. Maybe I am overreacting, that is just my opinion. Customer pamphlets cost money to print and are produced to make more sales not to help your interview. Plus, if they are anything like the customer pamphlets we have they are not going to do an effective job of showing off your engineering skills. From the limited experience I have, employers are not looking for a portfolio when you interview. Tell them what you know and show them your a decent person and you have a pretty good chance of getting the job.

No, don't bring the drawings. They are intellectual property owned by your company, so it'd be a violation (of the law) to show them to someone without the company's permission.

I'd also hold off on the pamphlets. Your type of products you make, the materials they are made from, and manufacturing processes will be far more interesting.

If you worked for a company that makes products for sale, and you have worked on things that have been released for sale, you can bring pictures (not necessarily drawings) of the final product.

I personally have a portfolio of pictures of things that I've worked on. I let my prospective employers look through it, and they stop and ask me about things that interest them. Makes for a good conversation.

Hasn't failed so far.

V

I have never brought any work examples to an interview. When I interviewed people who did I felt uncomfortable. Just because you show a drawing or specification may not convince her that it is your work.

If you still feel that you must bring an example, delete the title block and any details pertaining to the client etc. and don't leave a copy or let her make a copy.

If I were conducting the interview, I might want to hold onto the drawing while asking the prospective employee to sketch the high points of the design on a pad - at my desk and explain the high point issues.

The gist of the above is the way I was feeling--taking examples of work that is owned by your current employer has a hard time passing the red-face test. Generally if something feels sleezy, it is. If I was interviewing you and you pulled out your current employeer's proprietary information (even with the title blocks deleted, that even seems sleezier) the first thought I would have is "if he's this free with their stuff how will he treat mine?". Don't do it.

David

I agree with everyone not to bring the drawings. The interview is about you, the person, more than you the engineer. They can teach you what you need to know to do the job (your degree demonstrates you are trainable) but only the interview will tell them if you will fit into the company culture. And this works both ways.

Observe the building, parking lot, lobby, how you are greeted, how staff treats you, was the interviewer on time, was the office environment hectic (you may like that or hate it) or quiet and heads down (you may like that or hate it).

Good luck.

Don Phillips

I generally find that I wonder about someone who brings along a portfolio of "stuff." It tends to connote a need to validate oneself through artifacts, i.e., the applicant has trouble selling himself, and has to rely on props.

In one case, it was someone who didn't actually have a degree, so he trotted out a bunch of certificates and awards to demonstrate a paper trail of accomplishments.

In another, there were photos of equipment the applicant supposedly designed, but...

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I'm pretty sure I got one job because I took a poster of our solar car along, it certainly sparked off a long discussion.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

There may be something in the delivery, as well. A poorly presented joke is no laughing matter.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

If I think the job will entail PCB design, I'll bring along a more difficult-to-design board and pull it out when the subject comes up. I feel this is a case where you can tell more about a person's abilities as a designer by looking at what they've done (and being able to discuss why certain decisions were made) than BSing about generalities. If th job will entail GUI design, I'll bring along some printouts of screen shots. Again, the overall layout of a GUI is just as important as the code that makes it run, and interface design is not something that comes across easily in just words.

My opinion? The drawings may be over the top, but I also believe that if you pick and choose specific portions of a drawing that show specific design decisions without giving away the product as a whole (even if they don't keep a copy of it), it can be productive to your job search as well as having zero effect on your current employer. You had a hand in creating those designs, so even if you don't own the product itself, I feel those designs showcase your abilities and some reasonable leeway should be shown.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I am glad I asked.

I am still considering bringing some public domain pictures or brochures of our equipment just to get some discussion going on my background and abilities. However, I certainly will not bring any sensitive material to the interview. So, I'm not planning on bringing any drawings, models, FEA plots, or anything that might be considered intellectual property.

Thanks again. It's a big help and I really appreciate everyone's input.

"your degree demonstrates you are trainable"

Getting back on my high horse again...

"trainable"? Like a washing machine? Can we use words that aren't so degrading?

How about "your degree demonstrates that you are a quick learner".

Less passive.

- Steve

Hah! ;-)

I'll have to remember to ask our (super senior)[sup]4[/sup] about being a "quick" learner one of these days!

TTFN

FAQ731-376

How about "Your degree demonstrates your ability to achieve a specific standing within a specific academic institution and nothing more"? It's definitely not a checkmark for quick learners, though they could be. It also doesn't mean they are intelligent, as they could simply be good at regurgitating info on command. It also doesn't mean they are learned, as they could be good at BSing at an advanced enough level to warrant a passing grade.

I've come across too many PhD's in power that couldn't find their rear with two hands and a flashlight, and too many highly intelligent high-school dropouts who were held back because they didn't have a few letters in front of their name.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

In our system there are several types of engineering degree:

1 Lazy boozer who can turn it on when required.
2.1 Successful hard worker.
2.2 Unsuccessful hard worker.
3 Don't care. Getting a job in the city anyway.
Or, Change to PPE/materials. Then city.

- Steve

I used to carry along a pocketful of small detail items that I had improved. No trade secrets involved, just little things that made a big difference. Now I've got small lo-res color photos of those objects, and some that are too big to carry, in my resume. Works about the same, easier on the pockets.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back