Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interview Ethics question.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradpa77

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2006
US
I have an interview next week with a new company. I am a mechanical engineer that deals with design and stress analysis or machine parts. I create a lot of 3-dimensional drawings and designs using Pro/E and ANSYS. I would like to bring some printouts of my work from my current company to show off my specific skills at the interview. I really don't want to have to ask permission from my current employer to bring the drawings to the interview because I don't want them to know that I am doing a job search. The new company is not a competitor of ours. The new job is actually a whole different industry altogether, so it's not like I will be providing a competing company with sensitive information that could be detrimental to my current company.

Is it unethical or possibly even illegal to bring these types of documents to an interview???

What if I bring brochures that are available to our customers that show our product lines and capabilities? They would show components that I would typically work on. Since these brochures are available to the public, would they be considered intellectual property?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll echo what others have said: pictures of products that are on the market are good, drawings and other proprietary info are bad.

I had a ~10 page portfolio of products I had worked on that consisted of renderings of products that were on the market. I would use the opportunity to make sure the interviewer know that the most recent stuff was not included due to confidentiality concerns.

-b

During a recent interview I exhibited a number of Work Instructions that I generated. The interviewers were critical about showing so-called company documents. I reminded them that they were rather generic and textbook information.
Perhaps the best thing to do is bring yourself, and exhibit your style with a sketch pad and pen. Hardware samples could be a selling point to demonstrate your line of experience. I never had criticism about hardware.

Here in the UK, it is now an expectation that at the professional engineer peer review interview (Chartered and Incorporated Engineer categories), the candidate would have available a 'portfolio of evidence' to back up their 'claim' of competence.

I normally advise that, for the interview, this should be stuff that will 'illuminate' the discussion, e.g. example photgraphs, diagrams, extracts of reports, of work done and jobs worked. Just like a job interview, it is the candidate, not the paperwork, that is being assessed!

You can continuously maintain such a portfolio by getting "witness statements" (someone who saw you do it ;-) ), validated copies of report extracts, etc. It becomes a normal part of working with your employer in having something to show. By starting early (from college onward) the employer will be able to help select allowable extracts.

By changing the portfolio's emphasis from being an occasional job hunt task to a full time professional activity (part of career management), you can get a greater benefit.

The web site while framed for new starts, is equally valid for all stages of one's continuous professional development. e.g.
For those interest in the UK approach to registration
Philip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back