Interview Question: Tell me about yourself? 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeroNucDef

Aerospace
May 29, 2009
GB
Hi

I was having a chat with one of my friends whose been looking for a new job (Design Engineer), he's been for a few interviews but he told me that he becomes stuck when the interviewer asks the "tell me about yourself" question. I tried to give him an answer, but I got stuck as well. I've been thinking about this question for most of the day now, and it's driving me up the wall. Being an engineer I'm quite good at talking about science & technology, but when talking about myself I can't think of anything that sounds right.
Not kidding here but my friends answer was: I'm a man, I'm a engineer. Quite blunt but right to the point.

What would you consider a good answer?

Yours
Fish

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Having been at John's place of work on visits over the years since the mid-80s through the EDS years, I have seen some of the relaxed work attire of some of the people. I do wonder how some of the CAM developers made it through the EDS years.

Te question that gets me is "What do you want to be doing in 5 or 10 years?"

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Interviewed at a company that I was not too interested in and got one those HR people who read the questions out of "the book". After about an hour of this mind numbing experience - she asked "the question".

I was so bored, I started in about my drug abuse, prison time, failed marriages, long lost kids, etc. After she picked up her jaw and said the interview was over - I left. What amazed me was she believed it - I was only 25 and she knew that - but what I related in terms of dates and times would have taken over 20 years!!!

Reminds me of the time I entered $1,000,000 /yr under the question of anticipated salary. Again the HR person choked - but at least he laughed.

Who ever said engineers were boring!!

looslib said:
I do wonder how some of the CAM developers made it through the EDS years.

We usually locked them in a back room whenever any corporate types were visiting ;-) But if you think the dress code in Cypress was 'relaxed' you should have seen some of the guys in our Cambridge (UK) office.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

boy, you engineers have a sense of humor

I went to this outplacement firm and they had those type of questions mapped out.

Tell me about yourself is asking what you did professionally and then go into all the projects or kind of work you did as an engineer. So its kind of a summary of your resume just verbal diarreaha.

When I interview a potential candidate - I want to know if they worked their way through college or did they get a scholarship - brains or athletic....or did Mommy & Daddy pay their way.

Guess who wins!!

BTW - I worked !!!! Mommy & Daddy ALWAYS goes to the "round file" - my trash can!!

This is a soft-pedal question that any interviewee should be expecting.

Now if they asked, "Tell me why I should hire you- without using the letter "e"", that would be much more fun!

No, that would be a sign they're wasting my time and I'd be tempted to get up and leave, unless I really need the job.

As to the opinion about them wanting a summary of your career history, that's how I usually respond but sometimes it appears they actually want more of a personal answer.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

“If you had 5,623 participants in a tournament, how many games would need to be played to determine the winner?”

Oh come on! That's trivial, assuming it's a knock-out, of course.

- Steve

My answer would be in the form of a question:

"What, specifically, would you like to know?"

If they can't answer that question, then it's obvious that they never fully understood the one they just asked you.

Regards,

SNORGY.

psh, when else do you get the opportunity to talk about yourself for a while and not have other roll their eyes or think you are an arrogant a$$?

Quite honestly, "me" is the topic I know better than anyone or anything else so yeah, I love talking about that topic :)

If I can say anything good about my recent unemployment is that I was forced strongly encouraged to attend job interviewing classes. This question is the number one 'weenie' question asked at interviews and the recommendation is to have something prepared, write it out, practice it and practice NOT making it sound rehearsed. Limit the discussion to work-related things. My classroom example was to describe how I was a very organized person, that I tested as 'The Organizer' on a Myers-Briggs personality test, and gave them an example of taking a disorganized condition at a former employer's office and making it organized. That's it. You really don't need to start with your birth. It also helped to throw around terms like 'Myers-Briggs personality test' because it's a topic HR weenies LOVE.

Other nasty weenie questions to anticipate are,

Do you consider yourself successful? ALWAYS SAY YES! Describe a goal you had and how you met it. It does not have to be work related. It can be "I decided to improve my health, started eating healthy and working out three times a week. I lost 25 pounds and feel incredible."

What do your co-workers say about you? Obviously you need to provide positive statements, "he's such a dedicated worker", "always pleasant." It helps to have a former co-worker willing to verify your statement. Offer an incentive if you have to.

Have you ever had to fire anyone? Do not make light of it if you have and emphasize that it was a tough decision but necessary to protect the company.

What irritates you about your co-workers? DO NOT FALL FOR THIS TRAP! Best thing is to pretend to think real hard and apologize for failing to come up with anything. Do not scroll through your diary on your smart phone and tick off a dozen faults for 10 people you used to work with, even if you keep such information.

Tell me about your dream job. Do not describe the exact job for which you are applying. It will not sound believable. Do not describe a different job. They will not think you are serious about working for them. Be generic and say something like, 'a place where I love my boss, enjoy my co-workers, and can make a significant contribution to the company.'

Do you have any blind spots? Do not hand over your personal faults on a silver platter. Describe PAST blind spots and that they are no longer blind spots.

And my personal favorite, "What has been your biggest professional disappointment?" This is tough one. Do not say you have no professional disappointments, everyone does. You will sound arrogant. Pick something that was beyond your control and just provide a few details to summarize the situation.

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge." Ivana Trump

You just need to ask the candidate one question to see what kind of person he/she is. (This save lots of wasted time)

"What colour is your underpants?"

The answer will tell it all...

[peace]
Fe

I'm with Mike, I would want to hear a story about working through school. Too often, you get people who were good at math and science, so the HS guidance counselor told them they were an engineer even though they had no interest. So you get a guy who is a scientist/mathematician/academic who doesn't want to stay in engineering because its too base for him. Then either leaves to go be an academic, actuary, etc. If they paid for it themselves, it indicates they actually wanted to be an engineer.

I was in an interview where I was one of many 'interviewers' (two engineers, one manager and one HR flunky)and a number of weenie questions were asked. We just wanted to get the kid to relax and talk. Extracting a high enough word count out of an engineer to make an educated guess as to whether or not this person would fit into our tight-knit group was tough. I say that this is supposed to be your opening to talk about whatever you want. Conducting an interview sucks just as much as undergoing one. Pick the topic and relax... The HR flunky doesn't make the final hiring decision, and the those that do will remember a relaxed guy with a dillusional belief that the Cubs really have a shot at the World Series this year.

How about ' If you were a super hero, would you wear your underwear on the inside or outside of your bodysuit?"

clients often ask stupid questions and if you cannot answer a simple question like these then you are probably not the sort of person they want representing them in front of their clients.

The numbers and the drawings are only half the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back