Interview Question: Tell me about yourself? 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeroNucDef

Aerospace
May 29, 2009
GB
Hi

I was having a chat with one of my friends whose been looking for a new job (Design Engineer), he's been for a few interviews but he told me that he becomes stuck when the interviewer asks the "tell me about yourself" question. I tried to give him an answer, but I got stuck as well. I've been thinking about this question for most of the day now, and it's driving me up the wall. Being an engineer I'm quite good at talking about science & technology, but when talking about myself I can't think of anything that sounds right.
Not kidding here but my friends answer was: I'm a man, I'm a engineer. Quite blunt but right to the point.

What would you consider a good answer?

Yours
Fish

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

HR people don't make the final hiring decision, but they do act as the initial filter. Obviously you have to answer each of these questions based on what phase the interview process is in. HR types should get HR type answers. Once you are face-to-face with the real decision makers, you need to base your answers accordingly. There comes a time in an interview when things are going well, and levity is welcomed by all parties involved.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

I guess I was lucky. For my current position I interviewed with my future boss who had a list of these HR questions. We did the first couple then he said somethng along the line of "enough of this junk". We ended up just talking casually about what actual work I would be doing and the FSAE cart team that I was a part of at school. Guess it helped he was a big NASCAR fan.

I had a similar experience. I was being interviewed by the plant manager, who was also previously an engineer before attaining that that position. After a few minutes of basic questions, he kind of stumbled and said that he didn’t really know what he was supposed to ask at these types of things. I suggested a couple things and ended up largely interviewing myself. Strangest interview I’ve ever had, but I did get the job.

I also had an interview before that one where there were a lot of "how do you deal with conflicts?" and "provide an example of how you successfully overcome a disagreement with a co-worker". Through my questions I got the jist that the place was going through some pretty tough labour strikes, I chose not to accept an offer from that company.

I once had a question "How are you at dealing with social situations"

I answered accordingly using an example where I was responsible for looking after / entertaining some sister company employees (from a different country). I got the feeling from their response that I had misunderstood the question after they rephrased it but almost the same. I brought up an example of when I looked after some visitig clients assuming this was the goal of the question. Wrong again. They made it specific to 'weekends' another answer to how I handle work social events at weekends seemed to be the wrong one as well.

Upon reflection I think they were trying to ascertain wether or not I drink at weekends and the probability of hangovers on Mondays.

Will
Sheffield UK
Designer of machine tools - user of modified screws

I don't know why these questions even get asked. Do people really answer, "I like to hang out pimpin' with my homies, holler at my bottom 'ho, sell a couple of rocks, an' do a couple of lines. Ya feel me?"

I mean, seriously...

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge." Ivana Trump

I have enjoyed the laughs!

I have generally found HR stuff to not be that useful. It all depends on the personalities in those positions. They are paid to look out for the company not the employees.

HR: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Magnet: No immediate plans, so if you want to schedule me I don't see a conflict.

Long pause...

HR: OK. Tell me your greatest asset.
Magnet: I think sarcasm ranks right up there.

Longer pause...

HR: OK, I think I have enough. Thanks for coming in.

HR: What salary are you expecting?
Applicant: Well, starting at $250,000 with benefits.

pause

HR: Well, we have 6 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick leave and 2 weeks personal time per year plus a car of your choice every 2 years.
Applicant: WOW, you're kidding right?

HR: Yes, but you started it.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

looslib,

All but the personal leave are fairly standard over this side of the pond (I have 28 days which is only 2 days short of 6 weeks).

csd, wow things must have really improved since I came to the US.

Sure, I had 25 days leave + about 9-10 public holidays. However I think I had 3 days sick, no personal time and sure as heck no car seeing as how the inland revenue were cracking down on abuse of company cars in lieu of salary.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Now that we're part of Siemens, I'm getting 30 days of personal leave a year, plus two 'diversity days' as well as all of the normal public holidays. Back when I got my first job, some 45 years ago, I had to wait 5 years before even qualifying for any paid vacation days and then you had to take them when the company said you could.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Vacation - I write to my congress person every few months asking for 8 weeks of government mandated vacation. For some reason my congress person does not reply? I keep wondering why. :D

Ah yes, John, back in the days of the works outing - what was it for you? hop picking in Kent? charabanc rides to Blackpool? the train to Clacton?
cloth cap, belt and braces to work, knotted hankie on head and rolled up trouser legs on the beach, socks in sandals, sand in the sandwiches ........ those were the days, eh?

Of course, the trend in recent years has been for workers to take some of their allocation to bridge the gap between Xmass and the New Year and that has today developed into an industry wide company choice....

JMW

45 years ago this summer I got a job as a draftsman for the American division of a British company. Before that I was a meat cutter in a grocery store (and I still have the scars to prove it).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

When I interviewed with Union Carbide about 30 years ago, I was asked to sit down and tell them (name three) about myself. I told them I would rather not sit down, as I had finished my job at the loading dock at 3:00 AM, slipped on a puddle, and landed flat on my butt. I felt something wet and immediately wished that it was blood because I intended to drink the half pint of bourbon on the walk home. Unfortunately, it was blood and bourbon, and I hadn't had a chance to get stitches yet. The interviewers laughed and laughed, realized I was serious, and hired me.

Never got asked that question.

My current boss first saw me when he set up an interview at the Pittsburgh airport hotel.

I got there first since my flight was a little early. Got bored, so I was looking at some nearby steel abstract sculpture ... So the first thing he sees is me looking at the welds and underneath the bent steel of the bar's decorations. Not sure if the interview went uphill, or downhill, from that point, but this particular question certainly never got asked.

...---...

If asked what are my faults, I imagine I could claim that "I'm certainly not perfect - But my only flaw is that I am too humble."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back