Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Interviewing Help/Tips 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pace82

Mechanical
Oct 28, 2012
US
I have been on a few interviews recently, but have not had any offers. When interviewing I always make sure to dress appropriately, have some knowledge about the position and company, have some questions to ask, have answers in mind to some questions they may ask, have a portfolio of projects I have worked on, and always send a thank you afterward. So, basically, I have the major bases covered, but based on my track record of no offers in the past 10 interviews or so I have reason to believe I am missing something...

Anyway, I am interested in hearing what it was you did in your interview to get your present or past jobs. Like, what questions you asked, how you answered difficult questions they asked, if you brought in any sort of portfolio of your experience. Also, some advice on how to handle some difficult questions I often get. Which are questions about gaps in my resume, it took me about 7 months to get a job after graduating and I have I was laid off for all of 2009 and part of 2010. I also get questions about how I work in a team environment (I work with others, but I am one of two engineers at my job) and how I handle multiple projects and meeting deadlines/scheduling (I do work on multiple projects, but they are not well defined, nor are there ever deadlines...management does not set clear cut expectations and rarely know what projects they want worked on anyways). Ive had the sense in some cases that my answers to these questions are not effective.

Also, for anyone who has been on the other side and hired people, when you have a few candidates who all could do the job, what might set them apart?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In regards to my over-qualified comment, that was not about technical proficiency or knowing how to better do things than others. Its not in my nature to overconfident (I probably wouldn't be asking questions here if that were the case). It is more that the type of work I have been doing has significant creative aspect with creating new products from a clean sheet. Some of the jobs I have interviewed for may be equally (technically speaking) rigorous, but they are looking for someone to work on products that are already designed not create something new.

Ive managed to get two interviews so far this year. The first one I had set up a time with the company's director of engineering. When I showed up I was told he had an emergency and could not make it and they had me meet with two engineers (both individually). During the interviewing, one of them said that the job they have is much like what I already have been doing. So there was no issue with my technical abilities. I felt like both conversations went well with good repoire between us. I was completely sure when the director was back in that they would want me in for more interviews. Despite some follow ups, I never heard back from this company. Im still disappointed because I really wanted this job. In fact, this is the second time I had interviewed at this company. The other many months before for a different position and interviewed by other people. Same results both times. The second interview I had was at a company that has set their office up to be completely open. Just one big room, no cubicles, with workers sharing tables. I walked in the main door and really was not sure where to go as there was no main desk and no obvious person to talk to...it was different. Anyway, once the interview got going the owner of this company said that people either love or hate their office set up. He then asked me how I felt about it. I figured at the time that that was probably *the* make or break question in this interview. Unfortunately, that type of office set up does not appeal to me and I figured that I could not lie convincingly enough that I loved it. So I just said that it was very different and left it at that.

...as far as just relaxing and being yourself goes, what if that is the problem?

Another question here, there is a rule of thumb to never say anything negative in an interview about your current position. Although it is not my only reason, the main reason why I am really wanting to move on is because I work for a guy who is stuck in the 70s or 80s in regards to engineering. He likes the work I do, but not the way I do it. Seems to be fond of how the engineers he had 20-30 years ago did their jobs (before 3D CAD). They had to work through multiple prototypes to work through all the wrinkles in a new product. I design in a computer and the first prototype, at most, needs minor modifications. He also pays like its 1985, which is an even bigger issue. Since that sounds negative, when asked why I am looking for a new position, I will never give that answer. I will say its because I just want to do something different, or take on new challenges. Both of these are true, they just are not the main reason. I am not great at stretching the truth, is the straight answer acceptable for an interview?

"Another question here, there is a rule of thumb to never say anything negative in an interview about your current position."

Well, you certainly run the risk that someone will hear what you say and it gets back to your (former) employer, so you do it at your own risk. Additionally, negative information to someone who is potentially a competitor to your employer is clearly a disloyal thing to do.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

I see nothing wrong with telling an interviewer that you feel you are underpaid and looking for a new opportunity with pay to match your qualifications and opportunity to learn new skills. Whether you are interviewing for a new position or not, you need to have some basis for making this claim. The interviewer may ask you how you know you are underpaid. Do you have targeted salary surveys or other job offers to show this (you don't need to share every detail with them). To be honest, if someone I was interviewing told me "I just want to do something different" and left it at that, I would think they were hiding something. Nothing wrong with wanting to do something different...but that, by itself, is rarely motivating enough to cause someone to leave a job and move to a new location, new employer, etc. Almost everyone wants to do something different at some point, but the motivating factor is unhappiness of some sort, or an opportunity presents itself which causes you to act on your desire to do something different.

What you should never say negative things about is specific people. Saying that your boss is an idiot stuck in the 1980's who doesn't know the value of an engineer...will NOT get you a job. Being honest that you like most aspects of your current job, but you are looking for an opportunity to utilize current technology to make your work more efficient while at the same time earning a wage comparable to your education and experience will keep the interview going and may lead to a job offer, or at least discussion on the pay range for the job. EVERYBODY has something they don't like about their job, your interviewers know that (because there's something about their job they don't like).

Your resume is fine beause they looked at it and brogught you in. I think you are nt answering e=questions appropriatly or showing interest and enthusiasm. Don't talk unless asked question.

Answer this question: Tell me about youreslf. Only worrk related.

Ex.. I am a skilled whatever Engub=neer with x years experience doing X and an accomplished Project Manager with the initiative and ability to clrarly define goals and effectiely use resources to achieve them.

Older:
List accomplishement lirkr Twenty years engineerig and managing projects for NPD. The ptojects included.... list what bedt natches job sescription.

As soon as possible ask the to better answer qyestuibsvabiut this job, ca you tell me what yur are looking for to make an efffective ehatever. Now you j=know what he is lookig for and can tailor your responsed accordinly. Know you company and have a few question prepared.

It usually work for me. If the compnay breaks out tests then to hell with them. I think SLB is the worst compnay I have ever seen and I was hired but common sence took over. Why bt miserale. They only hire MS and PH'ds fro university. Masters leel Enguneers should be paid less han anyone becasue they couldn't land a job as a BS and they learn and offer nothing to th compnay. French are idiots but the compnay was top notch technicallly BEFORE this policy.[highlight ][ignore][/ignore][/highlight]

- CJ

SLB used to hire BSEEs to babysit their georesistance testing rigs. Some of those couldn't EE their way out of a wet 7404; I know because I attempted to interview one of them when SLB had a major layoff.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Your resume got you the interview. It is what you are doing during the interview that is sinking your ship.

Ask what they are looking for in an engineer for this position. Let them tell you what they want, as much as possible and remember all of it. Then you turn around and tell them that is you in a nutshell.

YOU MUST BE ABLE TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION OUT OF THE GATE WITH EASE AND PROFICIENCY.

"Tell me about yourself".

This is where you spell out that you are a seasoned Mechnaical Engineer who has specialized in ? over the past x years. Before that I did this etc... Also experienced Project Manager with track record of finishing on time and within budget. Gear it towards things the compnay you are interviewing with will want to hear. Don't tell them you like cheetos and watch any movie with Kate Beckinsdale.

- CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back