Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Introduction to Earthworks and Road Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielneivaamorim

Geotechnical
Nov 7, 2015
NO
Hello guys,

Do you have any good bibliography to introduce the basic concepts of soil mechanics and specially earthworks and road engineering?

I'm a Geological Engineer (Portuguese) specialized in Geological Resources (oil & gas) and I've just started my career in a completely different direction my company is doing a national road in a rural zone in Mz.
Actually I'm in charge of a Geotechnical Lab in Mozambique (6 months already) and I've already got in touch with the most part of the lab test procedures and methods but I would like to learn a little bit more and to understand all the basics (think is very important to know why the things are done than just do it without understand).

Cheers,

DNA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What I would suggest too is that you google DOT Geotechnical Manuals (of FHWA) - seems like almost every state in the USA has such a manual - and similiarly for asphalt, concrete and the like. Good place to start.

Daniel....in addition to the excellent suggestions above, you might look at the following:

Geotechnical Lab Texts by:
Braja Das
Joseph Bowles
Lamb (classic)

Pavement Design Texts by:
Yoder and Witczak (somewhat classic)
Huang
AASHTO Pavement Design Manual

Numerous Geotechnical Texts from the classics (Terzaghi and Peck) to contemporary (Coduto)

Ron's post got me thinking (sometimes dangerous) - but I strongly suggest obtaining a copy of the following books:

Rollings & Rollings, Geotechnical Materials in Construction, ISBN 0-07-053665-1
Monahan, Construction of Fills, ISBN 0-471-58523-8

Fang's 2nd Edition of Foundation Engineering Handbook (first edition was with Winterkorn) has a chapter on compaction by Hilf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back