Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INTRODUCTION TO Finite Element Analysis-Pl suggest 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sivananda

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2001
US
CAN ANYBODY SUGGEST A VERY PRELIMINARY BOOK ON INTRODUCTION TO FEM.I AM INTERESTED TO KNOW HOW STIFFNESS MATRIX ARE GENERATED AND HOW THEY ARE SOLVED.IS THERE ANY BOOK WHICH SHOWS A LOT OF HAND CALCULATIONS IN THIS REGARD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would recommend Framk Stasa`s Introduction to Finite Element Analysis.This book is sooo simple but it helped me very well.

Best regards..,

Hello,it`s me again,
I should have written the names as:

Frank L. Stasa
Finite Element Analysis for Engineers

Sorry for the the wrong spelling.

I have found that a good introductory level book, comprehensible for upper-level undergraduates, is

"Introduction to Finite Elements in Engineering"
by Chandrupatla and Belegundu

I am familiar with some of the other books suggested, and they are also good. However, many of them are intended for, and written at, a graduate level. This particular book has been very useful for me in teaching the basic concepts to new engineers with no previous FEA background. When you say "very preliminary", this book is the first that comes to my mind. It does not require a continuum mechanics background to understand, and the notation and presentation are not as threatening as other texts.
Don't expect to read this book and have an understanding of advanced concepts--it is limited to linear problems.

If I could only have one FEA book, it would not be this. However, if I were teaching an undergrad FEA course, this is definitely the book I would use.

Brad

"Introduction to Finite Elements in Engineering"
by Chandrupatla and Belegundu
This is a very good book. It worth to read before jumping to work.
In fact keep this beside your workstation.
Narendra N P Singh

Hi,
I agree with Brad . Intro to FE methods By Chandrupatla and Belegundu is a great book for beginners. If you go through it in a systematic manner(also try to solve the problems given at the back of each unit), you can gain a clear understanding .

Good Luck,

TS

Lots of Indians on this group. Here's another: Finite element analysis by C V Krishnamurthy (I could have the title wrong, but the author's name is right).

Another wonderful book (no hand calculations in this one, but a very practical approach) is by Constantine C. Spyrakos.

abhio suggested Finite Element Modeling In Engineering Practice by Constantine C. Spyrakos. It does a sample calculation on pgs 9-11 for a simple two element cantilever bar.

This is a very exellent book.

An introduction to finite elements by Hinton gives a good description of the methods used plus the codes for developing your own program for a variety of elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back