Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inv 11 vs Solidworks 2007 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy1111

Mining
Jun 2, 2006
CA
3 years ago when I was last in a postition needing to evaluate and decide on a 3d cad package, the choice was quite easy. 3 years ago solidworks had the tools needed, and inventor was playing catch up. Now 3 years later I'm once again tasked with deciding, but the race seems a lot closer.

My company makes pulleys. The assemblies are small. A typical assembly may only have 8 parts. (adding bearings may bring this up to 50) The variety of sizes of each of those parts is almost endless. Each part we manufacture has almost infinite sizes. Each purchased part like bearings, is one of a hundred or so variations.

I like to automate as much as possible. Every style will be pre done as an assembly with all drawings. When a new job comes in we change every part parameter in an assembly, and have the already done drawing update. Clean it up, and print. (with solidworks this would be done with a design table at assembly level controlling a skeleton sketch and all parts drawn in contect and constrained to the skeleton)

Inventor used to lack configurations. Now it has them.
Soliworks used to lack drawing functions. Now it has them.
Solidworks still lacks good equations and global variables.
Inventor still lacks in some tools it has.

I guess both are able to do the job for me. Inventor has caught up quickly. Will it pass solidworks in the next few years?
Any comparasin I've read in the last couple months while researching has always been versions of a few years ago. Back when the biggest points were configurations and design tables. Now that distinction appears gone.

To anyone who is familiar with both in their current state, do you have any insight that might sway me one way or another?

How is autodesk vault compared to pdmworks?

Jarery

-------------

Randy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Adrian……You fail to mention Isometric views. These can be dimensioned easily in SW but in Inventor I believe you have to cheat and use the same work around that you used in ACAD - place an aligned dimension and manually override the value.

Eddy

Hey Adrian,
Hope you don't get any negative posts or see any of the recent posts as negative. I have wanted to do what you have done for a long time, that is start a comparison list. I applaud your effort.
The only reason I post here is that is gives people who are looking for facts, not hype, a chance to compare software from the eyes of professionals. Even on this thread you have people who are not objective or knowledgeable, but usually they are gently corrected. Continue the good work.

Mark

hi to all cad user
im a newbie to solidworks but a mid-advance level to inventor10. i would like to know for all those solidworks user,, how often your system crash for making a 500 parts and above??? (including assembly and sub assembly) how long does it takes to regenerate a whole assembly and sub assembly???

(comparing solidworks to inventor with the same parts and numbers)

tnx
inventorer

A 500 part assembly is on the small side....I'd say maybe one crash every week or two with an assembly that size in Solidworks.

Rebuilds times will vary greatly depending on your computer and whether you use top-down modeling.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.0 on WinXP SP2

ahhh tnx buddy it means doesnt matter whether u use IV or solidwrks as long as the execution is concerned. IV & solidworks were all the same

tnx
inventorer

Can anyone tell me the ammout of users of Inventor to the amount of Solidworks seats are sold in UK?? that me add some light on the subject.

something new for pro/e users to consider when choosing a more affordable cad package:

and yes, there is a great difference between just the promise of import/export and doing it with full integrity. this agreement is a milestone in seamless file exchange, and the kind of thing you can do comfortably when you lead the market, as autodesk does ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back