Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inventions You Would Like To See - In Your Lifetime 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashereng

Petroleum
Nov 25, 2005
CA
Some of my colleagues can cite chapter and subsection from the ASME code. I am lucky if I spell ASME correctly all the time.

I would like to see, in my life time (so I can use it) an external memory drive. And I mean that literally. I want to be able to put it near me, and have it beam me (like Star Trek I guess) all the data and info it has stored in it...like the ASME code. This way, if I can't remember, it will remember for me.

As I understand it, Prof. Dumbledore (Harry Potter) has a similar device where he stores his extraneous thoughts for retrieval at a later time. So, I guess it should be coming soon ...

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd like something a little simpler - a mechanized goat - a lawnmower which roves the yard slowly, clipping the lawn as it goes, and producing its own fuel (cellulose-ethanol?) from the clippings and available solar power.

Haha, I like this topic.

Ashereng, I agree totally, I would love that as well.

ivymike, There are automated lawn-mowers out there now...just not self-fueling.

And for me, I would love for someone to invent a teleportation machine. This would be so awesome, no much terrible long flights. Just step in, and BAM, I'm in Tokyo.

I wuld lik a device that transform what I tink to a post that dus not hav any speling erors.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

copiers that do not jam, not even once. Telephone answering machines that do not have an annoying beep and are too easy to use. Wire hangers that do not get tangled.

Rocket Pack

(one that doesn't inadvertently burn your trousers/pants)

A device for trimming large sheets of paper accurately and quickly ;-)(I just spent about and hour this morning with a colleague and some interns trimming drawings with scissors!)

A truly environmentally friendly, renewable, cheap/free energy source.

A device which would allow us to see moments in history.

A device which makes politicians tell the truth. [lol]

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

Flying car that actually works! (boo moller)

Also, I'm pretty sure they do make automated lawnmowers that are solar - Disney had a bunch at Epcot for a few years. And it couldn't be that hard to make your own if you wanted to.

I'd really just settle for CBL's aforementioned energy source.

I'll go with a replicator like a 3D printer that I can use so I don't have to go out shoping for clothes.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

DaveVikingPE said:
copiers that do not jam, not even once. Telephone answering machines that do not have an annoying beep and are too easy to use. Wire hangers that do not get tangled.

I said in your life time. [rofl]

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Don't start on Velcro. That took on a life of its own over on the grammar section.

Peddle powered computer. If you stop pedaling it goes into standby. That way I wouldn't get so fat and unfit sat in front of the screen 50+% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back