Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inventions You Would Like To See - In Your Lifetime 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashereng

Petroleum
Nov 25, 2005
CA
Some of my colleagues can cite chapter and subsection from the ASME code. I am lucky if I spell ASME correctly all the time.

I would like to see, in my life time (so I can use it) an external memory drive. And I mean that literally. I want to be able to put it near me, and have it beam me (like Star Trek I guess) all the data and info it has stored in it...like the ASME code. This way, if I can't remember, it will remember for me.

As I understand it, Prof. Dumbledore (Harry Potter) has a similar device where he stores his extraneous thoughts for retrieval at a later time. So, I guess it should be coming soon ...

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A device which returns all Spam, Viruses, Trojans, etc directly back to the originators computer ... and then fries it.

If it could also send out an elctro-magnetic pulse to fry the moron originator, that would be a plus.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

Greg, I searched, sky-clad means to go around in your birthday suit? I'd rather just have a replicator that could build me a daily wardrobe. At the end of the day I could just recycle and not have to worry about doing laundry.

I'd also like to see a Mr. Fusion device like on Back to the Future.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Underground vacuum filled (or is that emptied) tubes in which super-fast maglev trains can shoot us cross country. NY to LA in an hour, and regenerative breaking at the other end, so it could be theoretically lossless.

-b

A wine/beer/liquor bottle that never gets empty. [rednose]

... and a device which eliminates hangovers.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

Please- the clothing replicator instead of Greg's idea: the trouble with public nudity is all the other people you WISH would keep their clothes one! (Count me in that group!)

Hmm: cheap, limitless and truly non-polluting energy, in a small and portable form. But it would take a lot of the fun out of engineering!

How about "unobtainium"- the metal that you can spec for any corrosion service and at any temperature without worry! That'd come in real handy!

And in case you wonder, I'd rather be able to fly than be invisible. If you can fly, you don't need to be invisible! Unless everybody else can fly, then it would probably still be handy!

I'm with CorBlimey, I'd also like for it to unplug their fridge, set off the smoke alarms, wreck their car, break their windows (and Windows), turn loose their pets, reset all their digital devices, kick their kids out of school and flood their house.

And I want a replicator like on Star Trek that makes ANYTHING. I don't mind buying stuff, I just hate going where they got it.

Regards,

Mike

An invention I would like to see in my lifetime?

1) A version of Microsoft Windows that is bulletproof!

2) Easy to use CAD tools without bugs!

3) Cold Fusion!

But, given reality, only #3 is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back