Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inverted Crown in Public Street 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chengineers

Civil/Environmental
Dec 17, 2013
US
The developer I'm working with would like to use an inverted crown design for public roads within a large commercial development. He would like to create a more pedestrian friendly atmosphere by draining runoff away from the roadside parking. We'd then use inlets along the road centerline to convey the runoff elsewhere. We're in MT, so the developer would like people parking to not have to worry about ice or water when entering/exiting their vehicle.

Has anyone had experience with inverted crown streets or know of a city that accepts them as a standard?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yep, curb and gutter is generally necessary to keep cars out of a ditch for lower speed roadways unless you have significant horizontal clear distance so the cars can avoid it. for the record, I am not against using an inverted crown for an alley, parking lot or very low speed / low traffic road. I think it is a viable option. but would definitely recommend either a cement stabilized base or a wide concrete valley gutter

cvg: Are there any tricks to getting the runoff to properly disperse/spread through the vegetated swale after it has been concentrated in the scupper?

cvg: How do you keep vehicles out of the vegetated swale and still allow runoff to get to the swale? I'm assuming curb/gutter with openings.

Paved shoulders.

Rumble strips can be added on the paved shoulder if desired, as done on highways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back