Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inverted Taper Pressure Balanced Lubricated

Status
Not open for further replies.

khalodee123

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2002
SA
what does Inverted Taper Pressure Balanced Lubricated valve mean

always i see this on a plug valve spec.

best regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Normally a plug valve has a top-entry and the plug is tapered wider at the top. An inverted plug valve is inserted from the bottom, so there is a bottom flange AND a shaft seal. This can be made to balance the axial forces on the plug so it is not displaced by the process pressure. I assume you know the lubricated part, but in a lubricated plug valve a >SEALANT< is hydraulically injected to float the plug free of the body so it can turn. I highlighted "sealant" because it is more than a lubricant: it is specially formulated so that it neither is soluble nor reactive with whatever the process fluid is.

Maybe this link will work. If not, go to FLowserve.com, valves, and Nordstrom.

Lubricated plug valves are used in refining, water and waste, and mining applications.

There are also NONlubricated plug valves. These have a tapered plug that nests into a (usually) tfe sleeve/liner in the body. These tend to be more useful in chemical applications. These are also in the Flowserve.com website under "Durco".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back