Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPW ( In Process Workpiece)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neeruk

Aerospace
Nov 3, 2010
CA
HI All
Once Again I am back with a question.

IPW save part can it use as a part blank for further operations instaed of creating a blank?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you can use the facet body that the IPW creates as a blank for other operations, but I have seen issues doing it that way.

your best off using the IPW method (either by level or 3D) rather than creating a faceted IPW.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.1.5

Yes you can save the IPW as a file. In milling ops it will be a facited body, from turning it will be a revolved solid. The important thing to keep in mind is it is NOT associative. If your initial process changes the IPW will not update, you will need to re-create it.

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6.0.5.3

There is not much need to save the IPW unless you need it for something outside of NX CAM.

As Anthony said, you are much better off turning on the option to use IPW in Cavity Milling. Then we get the blank from the outgoing IPW of the previous operation, and everything stays up to date. There are some rules - like the operations have to be in the same tree in the geometry view, but it works well.

You can see an example by going to create geometry, and for Type use the mold_sequences part.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Hi All

Thanks for your valuable reply. But I guess you didnt get my quetion. In same setup we can use IPW model as a blank I agree with you, but My question is its different setup.

For Eg:

- Take a rectangular block like 12"x10"x12" (LBH) thats the raw material size

- I want finish at 11"x9"x11" (LBH) so, first half i did half of the depth like 6.5" with this I generated a IPW model
- Now I want do other side(flip part) here is it possiable to use IPW model as a blank wich is generated at operation first.
-If I want use that IPW model I need to re-position IPW block with part model. So here I should use some constrains
when I try to select a face but I cant coz complate IPW model is selecting.

plz any one can suggest me how to use?
Thanks

The IPW method we have described will work to do what you want.

All the operations must use a common main MCS & workpiece.
Then the 2nd & following operations need to have the In Process Workpiece set to "use 3D" see the images for an example.

download.aspx

download.aspx

download.aspx

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.1.5

oops, here's the bottom side
download.aspx

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

if the faceted body is in a component, then use reposition component, if it's the same part then use move object.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.2.5

no it isn't possible to extract curves or sheets from faceted bodies

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.2.5

To move an IPW to a different setup (today) you need to save the IPW as a component, and then add it to the second setup assembly.
I'm sure we save a CSYS in the IPW component part, so that you can position the facet body easily.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Hi Mark

I Did same but to align IPW component with actual part model you need to apply some constraints for that atleast any single face must be select. On IPW component Its not possiable to select individual (as per my knowledge).
If you have any Idea plz let me know.

Thanks

you don't need to use constraints to align the IPW you can just move the component into the right position. If you want to align exactly, then create some datums in the IPW component to use for constraining to.

what I don't understand is why you need to move the IPW anyway. The part isn't moving and neither should the IPW. I know that you are using another setup (i.e. from the opposite side) but you can turn your MCS around 180° to do that.

Even so, I still think that you are making more work for yourself by splitting into a different part for every setup.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

It is my experience that after using an IPW for several operations, it seems to degrade the facets that the program uses to identify surfaces. This will usually result in erratic movements in the programmed code. I have found that using 'previous tool' helps to avoid these issues. It does the same function, identifying where material is available to cut. The IPW, in my eyes, is only valuable for a rough and semi-finish cut.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back