Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Iron and manganese in ground water 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocky

Agricultural
Jan 14, 2001
NZ
Has anybody had any dealings with a company in San Francisco called 'World Construction Company'? I'm wanting information on their ground water filter media high contact oxidation membrane. Can anybody recommend it?
Thanks, Ross Douglas, New Zealand.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a company called ZENON in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada that specializes in membrane technology for water and wastewater treatment

You might also consider chlorine dioxide for manganese removal. Alot of excellent work has been done by Prof Ken Carlson and his PhD student, Dean Gregory, at Colorado State University.

Prof. Bill Knocke at Virginia Tech also has done work in this area.

Geo Clifford White's Handbook of Chlorination and Alternative Disinfectants, Chap 12 (wiley Interscience, New York, 1999) has a discussion of ClO2 for manganese removal, along with pretty good references. Its available from the American Water Works Association Bookstore (
AAR

I have. I was not really impressed. I live in Sydney and had a problem of incredibly high manganese, iron and hydrogen sulphide. I found a system through this site that is much more cost effective and requires almost no maintenance than suggestions put forward to you and by you. Let me know if you would like further info.
Regards
Andrew Y

We have completed a lot of work in the removal of iron and manganese from waters in the UK. I can supply operating details and levels of removal if you wish using Natural Charcoal

Removal of iron and/or manganese from groundwater is a tricky and sometimes difficult thing to accomplish, especially if manganese is the primary element. If the iron level is the only problem, you can use several methods; including: oxidation/reduction/filtration (chlorination or KMnO4 used as the oxidant or in rare cases: aeration), ion exchange (be careful using this process for fear of resin fouling, especially if iron bacteria is also present), and catalyst systems with special filter medias that drive the pH up to high levels allowing easy removal of the iron precipitate. The removal of managanese, however, is much more problematic than iron alone. The key to successful Mn removal is proper maintenance of pH levels, contact time, and Fe/Mn ratio. Manganese has a much higher valence atttraction to the water molecule than iron which creates more difficulty when trying to remove it by itself. For oxidation/reduction systems the pH of the water must be usually kept higher than 8.2, sufficient levels and contact time for the oxidant must be provided and, for best results, the Fe/Mn ratio should be at least 5:1 to 10:1. There are so many variables involved that I cannot begin to list them all, the best advice I can render is this: pH levels are critical, contact time and filtration material and filtration rates must be carefully observed, backwash rates must be adequately high enough with adequate time to lift and expand the media to remove all precipitate and, finally, the presence of iron or manganese bacteria will cause severe problems in most systems. Do a complete water analysis before starting any design work and be cautious of using membrane systems except for final polishing, they have a tendency to foul and plug rapidly with precipitate. Good luck, epbpe.

I see you are in New Zealand. I advise that you check the supplier's recommended application against the characteristics of your ground water. Main areas to compare are:
- is your water quality consistent
-do you have interferring gases such as carbon dioxide or hydrogen sulphide.
-what is your ph range
-what is the iron and manganese level.This is important as some of the methods suggested such as oxidation will not achieve high removal if iron content is high as the oxidants will tend to react with iron forst leaving the more stable manganese.
- What quantities are you dealing with.
Iam based in New Zealand and my experience so far is that you need pilot tests before you decvide on which method to embark on. You can contact me and we can share notes on selection criteria.

I suggest you first determine how much of the iron & manganese is related to particles in the water. An environmental lab can filter through a 0.45 micron filter and determine iron & manganese before and after filtration. In the event that most of these metals are dissolved I recommend you look into using ozone.

Hi to everyone,
Ihave a case concerning water treatment of a small community. It is need to remove the ions of the Iron and Manganese from drinking water, engaging greensand pressure filters method. There are two main water streams, which are gathered in one collection tank that will feed two filters, with the following characteristics:
Total Flow rate : 70m3/hr
Iron : 0,4 ~1,4 ppm (depending on season)
Manganese : 0,01~ 0,02 ppm (depending on season)
pH : ~7,5

I have proposed the construction of two pressure filters, working in parallel, with dimensions of: D=2m, H=2m (seem to seem) with filter velocity 11,5 m/hr each, which will be washed and rinsed .
The dosage of the chemicals, follows as :
Cl2 = 0,85 ppm
KMnO4 = 0,57 ppm

Waiting on your advise accordingly to your experience the best way of monitoring and dosage adjustment of the chemicals, taking into consideration the alteration of the concentration of Iron and Manganese during seasons turns.

Also inform us if the KMnO4 is hazardous for human health when the dosage exceeds its normal rates, due to false adjustment of working personal.

Thank you for your responce. I was wandering if there is another way to monitor the excess of KMnO4 because my client is very hesitant about using the KMnO4 due to inexpirienced working personal. A
lso have anyone used BIRM with preliminary aeration of water? Is there any background on this technology?
Thank you in advance.

Can Iron and Manganese be reoved by pressure sand filters with sodium hypochlorite injection upstream of it ?
Please respond at the earliest

Hi to everyone,
Some of my competitors proposed the use of just an oxidtation with air and pressure multimedia filtration in order to remove the consentrations of Iron and Manganese.
Total Flow rate : 70m3/hr
Iron : 0,4 ~1,4 ppm (depending on season)
Manganese : 0,01~ 0,02 ppm (depending on season)
pH : ~7,5

Have anyone heard about this mehod?

Also can I use just gas-liquid dispersion system "Statiflo" prior to multimedia filter in order to oxideze the Ions and in continuance presipitate them in multimedia filter.

I suggest use of oxidation of iron and manganese using MnO2 (manganese dioxide),it is an autocatalytic process it is perfect for the removal of the two metals,what is used is standard sand media and manganese dioxide after short time when u have a pH above 7.8 the autocatalytic process will be generated and no reactivation of the filter media will be needed,the use of other oxidation methods such as chlorine and KMnO4 will not be economic and efficient as the autocatalytic process.
hope my reply of a value
if u have further question just ask.

Is there a method for determining the approximate quanity of Chlorine or KMnO4 required to oxidise iron and manganese.

Iron level 47ppm Manganese 4ppm

Also what are the other advantages disadvantages of both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back