is a thermal oxidizer a fired heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frguic

Petroleum
Feb 17, 2012
FR
Hi Everyone,

I am new in this activity and I am working an thermal oxidizer. As i am new, I do not know which standard can be applied to this system.
I found the API 560 which is for fired heaters but I can figure out if it applicable for a thermal oxidizer; This equipment will be installed in a waste water treatment plan in a refinery.

Thanks a lot for helping.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A thermal oxidizer is basically a flare inside a firebrick lined steel can. The words are pretty descriptive - using heat to oxidize the waste stream. I don't think API 560 is applicable. Check out the JohnZinc.com web site perhaps?

I got some indications from the U.S. EPA that if you do anything with the waste heat from a thermal oxidizer it is no longer a thermal oxidizer. They haven't written that down anywhere that I can find, but conversations indicate that the way they're leaning is to disqualify a device that could be called a "heater" from the requirement to provide methane-destruction (they had some sort of vague issue with cooling the exhaust changing the combustion effectiveness, we tried to talk them out of that but I'm not sure how effective we were).

So, no API 560 doesn't apply.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back